snow leopard version

ezmac1964

I think you're getting technologies mixed up:

1. OpenCL has more to do with GPGPU, and less to do with CPUs

2. OpenCL is v1.0, OpenGL is v3.0

3. You probably mean Grand Central, not OpenCL

But either way, considering the type of application that µTorrent is, there are only so many things that can be parallelized. Even file hashing (the most intense operation in µTorrent) would be bottlenecked by disk IO, and not the CPU. What that all means is that it really wouldn't make that much sense to try and use multiple cores in most cases. The cost:benefit ratio is likely to be relatively high, though admittedly, I don't know exactly how it is that Grand Central works (so I don't know how difficult it would be to use from the developers' standpoints, if any changes to the code need to be made at all).

Scheduling which core the application runs on is the operating system's job. Operating systems are there to (among many things) serve as a hardware abstraction layer of sorts for applications running on the OS, and to manage resources used by the applications. If all applications are running on a single core, then the operating system (OS X) isn't doing part of its job (resource management) well, and for applications to have to attempt to override which core it runs on would again mean the operating system isn't doing another part of its job (hardware abstraction) well.

I would like to hop in and mention that any specifics of implementations are still covered by NDA from Apple, and even if folks from uT wanted to discuss technical things that would be done with the various technologies from 10.6, its not going to happen beyond a generic and vague yes or no, so its not really worth asking.

Archived