Saving files with different names and moving faster in the queues

Gokuroro

• 1 year later...

Because the filenames and relative paths are hard coded into a 'directory' torrent. This feature would require µtorrent keeping track of a shadow copy of the file and path structure of the torrent. And although this is technically posible it is a fairly extensive, bug sensitive and not-newb-proof feature. It surely would raise a number of issues that would make people come here and ask for help and it would increase the bloat-ness of µtorrent for a minor1 improvement requested by only a few people.

Although it seems like a handy feature it goes against the general concept of BitTorrent enough for me personally to give it a -1 and to say at forehand I'd respect the developers wishes if they chose to not implement this even if there was major support.

1Considering you are free to rename all files after having removed the torrent from µtorrent (after you are done seeding it to a decent ratio). It is similar to .RAR (or otherwise) compressed downloads in that way.

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry to do some grave digging here, but I'd also like this feature and so I was curious: does anyone know how azureus does it?

Personally I would expect that it just would mean that uTorrent would have to have in internal table of aliases...

In my case it came up (again) cause I was loading a 20 GB torrent, but I only had 2 drives with i little bit more then 10 gb free... so i would have liked to change the location for some files, but that was not possible, so i habe to move 10 gb from one drive to another, which was not easy...

oh, and concerning the "they are all named nicely", thats just not right... i's seen extremely terrible namings out there :P

P.S. is it possible to point the feature request in the list to this thread instead of one in the trashcan? And I'm supprised to see so many "no"s... i could understand "dont care"s but no? *sigh*

Archived