Help opening a port

db2101

Hi all, I'm completely baffled here and hope you can help. I just got another laptop and for some reason I can't get the port to open for this machine. Utorrent works fine on my other laptopn (both IBM thinkpads, both using the same router, both windows XP)

In uTorrent I set the port to be 59275. In my router settings (speedport W503V) I set port 59275 to be open for my ip address for both TCP and UDP. This machine is running on a clean install of Windows XP with no antivirus installed. If I look in Windows Firewall it showed utorrent as an allowed exception, but I've turned Windows Firewall off just to be sure. The port is still showing closed and my down and up speed for sure confirms that.

I have absolutely no other idea as to where to look/what to change? Many thanks in advance!

No, but I've never done that on my other laptop either.EAch time I want to use uTorrent I just see what my ip is, (its dynamically set) go to the router config, open the port for that ip and that's always been fine. Right now its .109 for example

Interesting, OK. So you're changing the rule regularly then or does your router seem to "remember" the computer each connect? Is there a table of COMPUTER > IP addresses or MAC ADDRESS > IP addresses?

If you try the one which is currently working, on .109 with the port you set for .109 does it still work? IF so, what if you set the currently non-functional to the functional one's IP and port? :/ There's something different as far as the router is concerned these are some ways to check.

Yes, whenever I want to use uTorrent I would go and update the settings in the router - usually I didn't have to because I usually always have the same IP address (only 2 laptops in the house here). And yes, when I go into my router settings to create a new port rule, there is a list of computers that you choose from. i.e. mine and all the others that have used my router.

So for example, if I was using Laptop1 and my IP was xxx.xxx.x.102 and my utorrent port was set to 59275, I would go into my router, select Laptop1 from the dropdown, enter port 59275 (TCP) and it would automatically see that my IP was .102 and assign the rule to that IP. UTorrent worked without any problems.

Now I have laptop2. In utorrent I set the port to 57078. Go into my router and set up the rule for 57078 for laptop2 and my current IP (109) as above, and still get a port not open error. I tried it with other port numbers, UDP, I turned Windows Firewall off, and I have no anti-virus installed. I can't imagine what else it can be because this is a new laptop with a clean install of XP, it has basically nothing else on it yet, other than windows media player.

Any ideas or approaches please??

Archived