Why is µTorrent keeping trying to retrieve webseed after 403/404 ?

Can you be more specific if the request is from the same IP or from different IPs? If its from the same IPs, µTorrent may try multiple times before giving up. If the requests are from different IPs, the web seeds has no way of letting other peers know the web seed is not working for a specific peer. Also, it could just be your route and it may be working fine for another peer.

Some clients like Deluge used to request 16 kB file pieces which would cause strain on the web server's access_log and refer_log. But this has since been fixed (or desupported?) I think if you are using the latest Deluge client.

Hi,

Can you be more specific if the request is from the same IP or from different IPs? If its from the same IPs, µTorrent may try multiple times before giving up.

Yes, the requests are made from the same IP. I was surprised by them because of the non regular delay between two (exactly the same) requests...

and I'm not using Deluge ;o) .

Anyway, thanks.

Quentin

(And sorry for my poor english)

µTorrent treats webseeds as regular seeds. There is no reason it should attempt to connect to seeds in any regular fashion. That a webseed is spitting a 404 error at µTorrent is just like a peer in the swarm being offline -- that doesn't mean the peer won't be returning, so there's no reason µTorrent should instantly stop attempting to connect.

What if it just so happens that the webseed is missing a particular file, but does have another (basically, acting more as a webpeer than webseed)? If there is some kind of special backoff for webseeds, it simply means the other files would less likely be reachable. That doesn't mean µTorrent should hammer away at webseeds, but I just don't see why it should treat them all that differently from other seeds, especially considering how seeds aren't contacted in any regular fashion to begin with.

Archived