help needed seeding to localhost

viguera

Hi,

I searched around for a bit and made a few changes to my µTorrent install to try to solve my problems, but I'm still seeing it, so forgive me if this has been discussed before.

I have a private tracker running BNBT, running on a win2k3 server machine behind a Linksys router. The tracker runs on announce port 6969, downloads work fine, ports are forwarded, etc. I just started using µTorrent on port 7720 (forwarded as well) to seed torrents to the tracker. It sees the peers and starts the uploads, then the troubles start.

Basically I see A LOT of messages on the logger regarding the local IP and the router IP...

[xx:xx:xx] 192.168.1.1 : [µTorrent/1410 ] : Disconnect: Banned

[xx:xx:xx] WAN IP : [µTorrent/1410 ] : Disconnect: Connection Closed

and every now and then...

[xx:xx:xx] WAN IP : [µTorrent/1410 ] : Send KeepAlive

[xx:xx:xx] 192.168.1.1 : [µTorrent/1410 ] : Got KeepAlive

Sometimes I get Send/Got PEX messages from the WAN IP and from 192.168.1.1 (like µTorrent is talking to itself?), Banned messages from those IPs, etc. I have µTorrent configured not to report an IP to the tracker, but the tracker announce URL is my WAN IP... should this be set to localhost instead?

For the most part, things are working... but the errors make me wonder if I have some configuration problem that's leading to my slow uploads -- I use µTorrent solely to seed to the tracker. What happens is that 1-2 torrents will get going -- starting out REALLY fast (40-50K each) -- then trickle down until they're at 0KB/s. Then they'll wait a while (30 seconds or more?) and start going again... reach really high upload speeds, then slow down until they reach 0 again, etc.

ANY suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Loopback connections are a problem in current builds. It has been reported.

GARK!

Ok... so you think the problem would go away if I moved the tracker to another machine in the network, or would the problem persist because they're still in the same local network?

I assume moving the whole thing to the DMZ wouldn't help though...

Thanks for the reply though... at least I know it's not some crazy configuration problem. :)

Peer connections to yourself (same client, same torrent) shouldn't happen, but in build 411, they do (I discovered them myself in a similar configuration).

It has been reported

I'm not sure I understand what (if any) the options are then... should I move the tracker to another machine, maybe move it to the DMZ as well and leave utorrent running inside the network?

Or am I completely SOL and should I just consider not being able to seed as long as I host the tracker? Or is another client/tracker the solution? I'm pretty sure I can't be the only one trying to run a tracker and using this software... is there no solution at all?

The trick is that you AREN'T SUPPOSED TO connect to yourself. It's a waste of TWO connections. You're never going to be uploading pieces to yourself, so why bother?

Others are supposed to connect to you. If you properly have your WAN IP being reported to the tracker, then you're fine.

I have µTorrent configured not to report an IP to the tracker, but the tracker announce URL is my WAN IP... should this be set to localhost instead?

But judging from this, it may not be.

DMZ classifies under "fuck no" for security reasons.

The trick is that you AREN'T SUPPOSED TO connect to yourself. It's a waste of TWO connections. You're never going to be uploading pieces to yourself, so why bother?

Others are supposed to connect to you. If you properly have your WAN IP being reported to the tracker, then you're fine.

I have µTorrent configured not to report an IP to the tracker, but the tracker announce URL is my WAN IP... should this be set to localhost instead?

But judging from this, it may not be.

DMZ classifies under "fuck no" for security reasons.

Well I know what is supposed and not supposed to be happening... what is actually happening is another story... :)

I just downloaded the latest beta, moved the tracker to another box, forwarded the announce port to the other IP and changed the settings to report the WAN IP to the tracker. Hopefully that will take care of it.

This has me really wishing for a section on the FAQ about how to use the program to seed a tracker on the local machine/network. A simple "change this setting to that value" would have saved me (and I'm sure others) plenty of time and headaches.

Thanks for your help though.

Archived