torrent: error: Can't open .torrent file

mischt

Hi there,

I moved all my files to a larger external hard drive a few weeks ago and things were working well. I had neglected to put torrents in a different directory adn kept getting error messages though.

Yesterday I tried to follow the instructions and redirect the torrents, but now I can't do anything more to most of my files, since they are nearly all marked with the above error message and can't be rechecked or otherwise altered.

What can I do???

thanks in advance!

ps. I've done a search on this topic and looked at the guide etc. The search turned up two different threads, one of which led to a dead link. The other took up the issue of a change in the drive letter, which isn't my problem here.

I tried that, but that only worked for some of them. (my torrents were on my external hard drive along with all the files in the same directory).

I've been working on this problem since last night.

One of the issues that took up a lot of time, was that the torrents were appended with .loaded and I had to erase this from every one of them to turn them back into torrents again (any quicker methods?)

The other issue is that the move in the first place was an attempt to deal with the error message I got about torrents not being in the same directory (or a similar error message in the log).

And one other thing: I've already changed the preference regarding the location of the torrent files, in an attempt to correct the issue with the torrents in the same directory. I now have very different settings there from last night (when the settings were all set at the same directory, for files as well as torrents).

There isn't any real reason to have a non-default setting for the torrent storage directory. Changing the autoload directory to something OTHER than the torrent storage directory is a REQUIREMENT.

Once the settings are set, remove all offending torrents (don't delete anything, just remove the task) and re-add them following the migration guide.

thanks!

I haven'T had any success in locating what the default settings are for hte torrent storage directory (I was mucking around with it because of the change to a new external drive wtih a different letter). Can you point me in the right direction for that?

and sorry, one other question: I don't know what a "task" is, in order to remove it.

And even worse: the torrents were all appended with .loaded when I moved them and I had to erase this from every one of them to turn them back into torrents again

Are there any quicker methods of returning them to their torrent status??

Thanks!

sorry, one very last question:

when I moved them the torrents were all appended with .loaded and I will have to erase this from every one of them to turn them back into torrents again (I can't see any other way of doing this - and there are many hundreds of torrents)

Are there any quicker methods of returning them to their torrent status??

Thanks!

Nothing is working!!!!!!

ok: an update:

I've used 2 different batch renamer programmes and have renamed all of the torrents only to have them switch back to .loaded files a few seconds after completing the switch. Utorrent seems to be rejecting them. It is impossible for me to reload the torrents in Utorrent, since none show up despite my best efforts!!!

• 2 weeks later...

May I ask a supplementary question on exactly this subject please?

uT1.8.3, win XP. I had similar nightmare using external drive and then moving files to internal drive. I had to go back to the .torrent files to re-load 'em to uT (many times) and all was well until this morning. Last night I did an exit from uT with everything working normally. Today when I switched on every task had error: Can't open .torrent file (followed by the file location). Every file and torrent was where it should be, no settings had been changed since last night. Most have been manually removed from task list and re-loaded ok. What could I have done to cause this? What could I do to avoid it again?

Ken

• 1 year later...

Archived