Can I Delete or Move Downloaded File?

grouchy

I have 1.8.3 for windows.

I notice that the program goes into seeding mode after downloading completes. What happens if I delete or move, say, a downloaded .rar file after I unzip it and put the contents somewhere else? Does that make it impossible to continue seeding? Does the program use a copy kept elsewhere? So long as I do not delete the torrent, can I delete, move, etc. the downloaded file after downloading completes?

The problem is that most of the torrents being created are partially automated and create some insane names with no real standard that are for the creators naming system and usually include their names in the file name as well. When downloading an insane amount of torrents like myself, I end up trying to automate the process of unrarring, moving files, creating nfo files, downloading thumbnails and fan art. This can otherwise take days to do and will never end. I wish there was an easier way to move and rename files with utorrent being able to keep track of that. I would seed a lot more if that was possible. Like id3 tags for mp3 files there should be a unique key or something associated to all the files downloaded through torrents that the software uses to verify the file no matter the name.

• 1 year later...

You can certainly delete them, but you might have to close uTorrent first. If that doesn't work then check the files aren't set to read only, although normally you would have access.

uTorrent will throw an error if you just delete the file and it then tries to seed it, but presumably you'll be wiping the torrent files and then uTorrent itself also?

It sounds like you might have closed the uTorrent window, but you haven't actually stopped the uTorrent program.

Look in the system tray, i.e. the group of icons on the lower right of your taskbar and see if there's a green square with a white "u" (actually a Greek "micro" letter) in it. That's uTorrent.

Right click the green square and select "exit" to completely stop uTorrent.

Archived