1.4.1-412 Encryption Bug

descartes

I normally use BitComet because of the header encryption but when I heard µTorrent was beta testing encryption I had to give it a try (again). I am behind a University Firewall and cannot transfer at all without the encryption.

*I have no trouble with BitComet's header encryption and can transfer at very acceptable speeds.

Now that my predicament is clear allow me to explain: I have tried setting "Encryption Mode" to all of the settings and none of them appear to function. The transfer remains at 0.0KB/sec. After extensively testing each setting I unchecked: "Allow incoming legacy connections." This, I believed, would only allow people with the latest Beta to connect to me (before it was still attempting to connect to non-beta users). I left it running for about an hour in which time it transferred 24KB. I frequently monitered the progress by utilizing a tool known as TCPView. When BitComet is running it attempts to handshake with many other BitComet users; roughly one third actually establish a connection. µTorrent did the same and actually established many connections (so I know I was getting through) but I was almost immedietly disconnected afterwards. I verified that these people were running the beta version of the client so, ideally, I should have been able to transfer. I have tried changing the port and peer.lazy_bitfield (to true).

Please advise.

µTorrent encryption only works with other µTorrent and also Azureus encryption.

But few uses the µTorrent beta and same thing with the Azureus beta.

µTorrent encryption does not work with BitComet's encryption.

So I guess you have to wait to use the excryption until the next stable release +

also maybe even wait until the next stable release of Azureus.

I agree, it definitely is a possibility. I initially ruled it out as a credible possibility because of the length of my test. 24KB transferred in over an hour. With about 40 beta testers available I assumed at least a few would be testing/making use of the newly available encryption capabilities.

did you restart the torrent after changing the option? :P

also, it seems that both Enable modes are broken in beta 413 (which is the latest, use it), you'll have to use Force Encryption (all traffic) or (handshake)

And it's true that there's very few Azureus beta and µT beta peers, though it's more common on private trackers.

Yes, I tried restarting the torrent. I will simply wait until it is out of beta or there are more peers. I previously made use of private trackers but now that I am forced to use encryption I doubt many would want me. Although I have considerable bandwidth available I usually end up leeching (with about .3 - .5) ratio because of the lack of users.

Archived