Strange speed issue relating to port forwarding

TonestarDeluxe

Hi Everyone,

I have a bit of a strange issue. I purchased a new TP-Link TD-8840 modem yesterday to replace an unreliable DLink modem. I found this new modem to be very stable connection wise and supplying great speed for my ADSL 2+ connection for normal browsing and downloading from websites. I sync about the 13Mbit mark with a 1020kb upload sync. The issue is that I am unable to rarely get any faster than 20kb on UTorrent regardless of what I download.

I have setup port forwarding for TCP and UDP on the router after initially trying UPnP (which didn't work and now disabled on router and Utorrent) and tested using the UTorrent Speedguide test link which gave a positive connection result. My Utorrent has the red symbol on the GUI footer though indicating that its firewalled and terrible speeds (I tested this with the Open Office Torrent) I tested the port with the program from Portforward.com and got the interesting result of the TCP port being blocked and the UDP port being open. I have made sure that my router has the port set for both TCP AND UDP.

UTorrent 38288 38288 TCP/UDP 38288 38288 192.168.0.4

Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 1020

Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 14181

PC is directly connected to the router running XP sp3 with the sys file patched and the router has the latest firmware installed. There is nothing else downloading or uploading and max upload in UTorrent is set at 25k (plenty of overhead left in upload limit). Downloads from sites usually achieve solid average dls speed of 1000kb/s.

I'm at a loss and can't seem to figure out how to get UTorrent working like it used to on the highly unstable DLink.

I have come to the conclusion that the router seems to have a fault in that it wont open both the TCP and UDP port simultaneously. I switched back to the unstable DLink router and I instanly got 5.2Mb on UTorrent on the same torrents with both TCP and UDP ports showing as being open.

I am going to try get hold of a Netgear router today to test.

Archived