Re disk read cache efficiency

wudicn

I am using 1.8.2, with disk read/write cache enabled. The reading cache is set to 1024MB, here is the reports:

reading cache: 39798

reading file:32800

While the writing cache reports:

writing cache: 51059

writing file: 406

There is big difference between reading/writing cache efficiency. How to improve? I wonder if there is any switch to increase the reading block size, as I have 1G RAM for reading cache.

I have 1 downloading & 13 seeding torrents, downloading speed: 100kB/s, uploading speed: 30kB/s.

My reading cache to reading file ratio is about 5 to 1 for blocks, but considering reading cache is 16 KB and reading file size is 127 (possibly 128) KB, the ratio by size is actually 5 to 8...meaning more KBs are read from file than from cache.

I am seeding files that are larger than my cache by about 100 times. My torrents often have only 1 peer at a time, so since they only download once each read cache isn't and cannot be very effective.

Thanks for explaining.

My opinion: if there are only one or several peers at a time, make reading file to read larger block size, say 100 times of reading cache (since i have large cache ram), maybe helpful for this issue. Is it possible? I will tick the option at the same time: reduce the ram usage if no need cache, & remove old cache block (sorry i write this based on memory)

uTorrent already does speculative reads and grabs larger blocks than a peer is requesting in hopes/anticipation that the peer will download those parts too. Changing uTorrent to do variable read block sizes will add to the complexity but will likely do little to improve performance.

Archived