Force uTorrent to use Socks 4 proxy

nih

Hello there

I'm watching the approaching 3-strikes law in NZ with some trepidation and looking for a solution. I've come up with the idea of running uTorrent through an SSH tunnel to my webserver in the US using Putty. Putty then provides a Socks 4 proxy to the local machine. Ideally this should disguise my traffic. I've tested the proxy using a web browser and it's running fine.

I've set uTorrent up to resolve hostnames and establish peer-to-peer connections through the proxy.

Unfortunately uTorrent downloads perfectly fine even if Putty isn't running. I'm concerned that uTorrent is somehow ignoring the proxy settings when it's not present.

Would this be the case? If so, is there a way to force uTorrent to use the proxy? How would you test that all P2P traffic is being routed through the SSH tunnel?

Hurray for PuTTY!

You'll have to firewall uT somehow so that if the proxy isn't present it can't connect out. Those settings aren't really intended for hiding people afaik, and if the proxy isn't around it tries to work without it.

Incoming connections that were established NOT through the proxy will keep going. This means that if a client has your public IP for some reason (DHT come to mind), they can directly connect to you and bypass the proxy.

So disable DHT. DHT is not proxied, so your real IP is being handed out. PEX I think you don't have to worry about, but I could be wrong.

That did the trick. I disabled DHT and DHT for new torrents.

I did notice that without DHT it seems to be running much slower with fewer active torrents and almost no peers.

Is there anything that can redirect traffic based on port (or even all traffic) through a proxy?

Archived