linksys causing utorrent crashing?

steponahen

hi. i have been using utorrent for many years. im not that tech savvy but it has always worked for me. just recently i had to make my vista 64 desktop wireless feeding off a linksys wrt54g2 v.15 with wep protection. my computer kept freezing so i decided to completely start off from scratch and did a system restore to have everything erased and default. now i figured out that whenever it was utorrent. when i load up utorrent or any kind of torrent program it will freeze the whole computer after the first 10 seconds. i cannot move my mouse or hit any keys. i have took off all the virus protection, took off the windows defender, and took down the firewall. i don't know what is happening. i don't think it is my computer since i was running torrents before when my computer was wired and i had redone it previously. is it the linksys that is causing my computer to freeze and crash and if not what can i do?

The router with Linksys-made firmware is bad as well:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_chart/Itemid,189/chart,124/

...However replacing the Linksys firmware with Tomato or DD-WRT 3rd party firmware makes the router pretty good. However the router does have low ram (8 MB?), so I wouldn't recommend setting max connections very high. About 100-200 tops in uTorrent and only allowing maybe 1000 on the router for everything (even dead connections).

Archived