Handshake Data Sent in Request to Tracker?

veroslav

Hi,

I am currently implementing a torrent client and my understanding is that when an announce request is made from a torrent client to a tracker, it is done as a GET-request containing various parameters such as info_hash, peer_id and so on.

In order to better understand this, I am analyzing the tracker requests/responses that are sent to and received from the tracker by uTorrent. However, I sometime notice that uTorrent sends some data that looks a lot like BitTorrent protocol handshake message that is usually sent between the peers in the Peer-Wire-Protocol.

Why is this? Is it something that I will need to implement for my client or should I ignore it? What is the exact content of this handshake message?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Veroslav

I am using HTTP Analyzer V5 and sometimes I can see it being sent as the post data of the announce request to the tracker. It looks as though it is sent as a stream, because looking at the "Raw stream" tab of the HTTP Analyzer, I can see the regular Host, User-Agent and Accept-Encoding headers respectively, and then after these there is an encoded data that starts with 'BitTorrent protocol' + 8 reserved bytes + info_hash and so on.

There are some new values that are being sent (compared with a regular handshake message that is sent between the peers), for instance, ipv4, reqq, yourip and so on.

I have no idea what this is and whether I am interpreting it correctly and whether I should care about it.

Thank you for your fast reply.

Regards,

Veroslav

Archived