Is windows 7 the problem?

Link2Us

My problem is that i cannot download any torrents. I recently updated to windows 7 ultimate. Ever since i changed from windows xp to 7, i cannot download anything. I have no connection. However when i do have connection, my dl speed, seeders, and peers is extremely low. The max speed goes to about 5-10, 1-2 seeders, 1-3 peers. Also i seem to notice that the peers seems to get banned. Torrents ran fine on windows xp but windows 7 seems to have problems. Is anyone else having problems with torrents on windows 7?

Disable the Windows 7 Firewall and be sure you have the ports forwarded in your router (if you have one) properly.

I migrated to Windows 7 Ultimate from Windows XP and my torrent speeds have increased nearly 70% - so much so that I'm even changing my other "server" to Windows 7 as well.

@Link2Us

if you get it working with disabling firewall, could you tell me whether you get a green button in center of uTorrent? I only get a red button, even if I test portforwarding with utorrent, it says ok. I posted my problem here but nobody seems to know why it is, so I want to check whether it is a Win7 problem.

Thanks =)

I have a Similar problem with a Windows 7 and VISTA Dual Boot...

"Vista downloading" with the new uTorrent Client is great, brilliant download & upload speeds with Virgin Media Cable service....

However, Windows 7 says the program is NOT compatible when I done a compatibility test... nevertheless, the uTorrent software install cool, but when I check Port forwarding comes back error... and offers me the chance to pay extra for a 3rd party program to configure my ports, which I thought was rather werid. (don't ya think) Why can't uTorrent configure my ports...

Ive double checked with KIS 2010 antvir & firewall settings, and they are showing that: uTorrent is safe and a trusted application etc.

Perhaps if I go into Win 7 and change the setting to Win XP mode for uTorrent may well sort the matter out, I have build 7600, so that should noth be a problem...

if you guys have any other suggestions, please reply, thanks!

and offers me the chance to pay extra for a 3rd party program to configure my ports,

That's a 3rd party site trying to push their program on you when uTorrent is actually giving you the page to configure the ports yourself.

The reason why uT can't configure the ports itself is because there are too many possible different setups that would require a separate chunk of code to configure.

Cheers mate, Ive Downloaded the New "Link Advisor Software" for my LINKSYS Router N160 and installed it into Win 7, now I've managed to sort the issue out...

Yeh, I see your point "I know itz 3rd Party Software" however itz a full page NOT just a wee link...lol

I think itz rather unfair for uTorrent to peddle this expensive software, when they should have their own FREE Software that does the exact same thing, if ya know what I mean...

Anywayz if push come to shove I would have bought the software to sort it out, as it would save me a lot of time... Im really kind of new to the P2P thing, so Im still learning, and faced with having to configure all the ports manually through uTorrent and Kaspersky I.S - I wouldn't know where to begin... as I don't have the relavent experience to sync uTorrent with Kaspersky and My router security.

Moreover, most other casual users wouldn't know where to begin either to manually configure those ports if they had KasperSky I.S (Yeh sure disable Windows Firewall and Just use a Solid Anti-Virus program instead of the full "internet security package") and thats a quick fix.!! - A lot of folks do it especially newbies, because they have little patience manually training the firewall pop ups etc.

However I choose a decent Third Party Firewall because I understand the Danger of leaving your ports open 24/7 especially on a PC with a Virgin Cable Modem... Even though I've been using PCs for over 15 years, I'm still learning new things everyday, and uTorrent file sharing is all new ground that I've never covered... However, I enjoy it cuz - I can get a hold off decent quality tagged music with a high birate, beats iTunes anyday...lol :-)

Archived