can't get above 1kb/s

wiggles

Hey everyone,

I have been researching this for a while and am starting to get incredibly frustrated. I run WinXP with SP2, and use my university connection, which is pretty fast. The online speed testers don't seem too reliable, as they display dl speeds anywhere from 10mbps to 45mbps. I have been messing with the different options and settings in uTorrent, but nothing I do brings my dl/ul speeds above 1kb/s. Everything I've looked at online talks about port forwarding, but I don't even have a router. I had previously been using BitComet, often reaching dl/ul speeds of 150/300kb with the default settings. Then I tried to change to a static IP. After doing this, I was able to connect to peers, but the dl/ul speeds would stay at 0/0, with the dl occasionally jumping to 1kb/s, then quickly returning to 0. Obviously this wasn't working, so I changed all settings back to their original values. But my dl/ul speeds were still around 0/0, and I'm almost positive i put everything back exactly the way it was. I then made the switch to uTorrent, which seems better than BC, but my downloads still won't go above 1kb/s. And it doesn't even try to upload. It's really starting to piss me off. I get the "network ok" message and my firewall is disabled, but still nothing. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong here? Did I overlook something or change something without realizing it? Do I need to use a specific port (and if so, how do I find it)? Any help will be appreciated.

thanks

I stopped reading after I saw "university connection". University = fucked. Sorry. :/ Probably some commie admin throttling down every port other than 80 and possibly 21. So change it to one of those ports, turn on peer.lazy_bitfield, set Encryption to enabled, and pray for the best. :|

Thanks, but that stuff doesn't seem to make a difference. The strange thing is, I used to get decent speeds with BitComet (150/300) without even changing the default settings, but when I tried to change to a static IP (didn't really know what I was doing), I couldn't get above 1kb/s. I changed back to 'obtain IP automatically' but although I'm using the original settings, it wont work like it used to. Even after switching to UT, it won't go above 1kb/s. I have absolutely no idea what could be causing this, and it's very annoying. Can anyone think of an explanation for this??

Archived