Sluggish PC downloading .rar/.zip using Norton Anti Virus

tCm

If you expirience major sluggishness/harddisc activity over the top, when downloading compressed files and getting a message from Norton Anti Virus that µTorre is waiting for a virus check on xxxxx.rar, you will have to disable Auto-Protect.

Right click on Norton Auto-Protect icon down at your right. Disable Auto-Protect.

Remember that Norton is now not scanning files automaticly. You will have to do this manually.

Anyways, your probably better of with another anti virus program.

ClamWin is suppose to be a good one. And it's free! :D

/tCm

Its another option u can use so u can be a lil more protected. I dont have it anymore, so bear with me. Im trying to post this from memory.....

Its a check box for scan within compressed files or scan within archives in the options. U uncheck one or both of those and u can still use auto protect. If its the compressed file check box, u can still do it manually after downloading.

And u right about being better off with something else. I just switched to BitDefender. It caught some nasties Norton missed from a year ago. I even had to manually ignore a certain program cuz BitDefender wouldnt let it run automatically with its on-access scanning.

Its another option u can use so u can be a lil more protected. I dont have it anymore, so bear with me. Im trying to post this from memory.....

Its a check box for scan within compressed files or scan within archives in the options. U uncheck one or both of those and u can still use auto protect. If its the compressed file check box, u can still do it manually after downloading.

You're ofcourse right jroc. There is a check box called "Search in archives", and is prabably lot more safe if you desparatly need to stick with NAV. ;)

And u right about being better off with something else. I just switched to BitDefender. It caught some nasties Norton missed from a year ago. I even had to manually ignore a certain program cuz BitDefender wouldnt let it run automatically with its on-access scanning.

Sound interesting. I'll check BD out!

Also a friend of mine recomended, today, an AV called NOD32. (Hard to pick one when they are so many!)

/tCm

Archived