Problem accessing webui remotely...

NSMeister

So I decided to start using WEBUI to follow my torrents download progress from anywhere on my iphone with uRemote.

Anyway I installed it and have it working fine when going through "localhost:port/gui" or 192.168.1.1:port/gui on the iphone. But when I try to access it through "publicIP:port/gui", it gives me an "invalid request" page. I use a linksys WRT54G, I've forwarded the port that I use and I am not restricting any IPs.

If anyone could help I would appreciate it. :'(

"....Anyway I installed it and have it working fine when going through "localhost:port/gui" ..... on the iphone...."

You try to access to localhost:port/gui on iphone?....this way u just trying to access to ur iphone..coz localhost corresponds to ip of device which u r accessing from...

"Anyway I installed it and have it working fine when going through ... 192.168.1.1:port/gui on the iphone...."

And this is right way to go...if ur computer and ur iphone are on the same LAN and ur pc have lan ip set to 192.168.1.1 ...u have to be able to access to ur webui if u set it properly..BUT

if again 192.168.1.1 is ur iphone LAN ip...like in 1st case u wont be able to acess to webui coz on ur iphone u have to enter IP of YOUR COMPUTER..

so

If u have installed utorrent on pc with lan-ip 10.0.0.1 and ext-ip °93.2.2.2" and u want LOCALLY manage ur utorrent application via webui .u have to enter in browser "localhost:port/gui" OR "10.0.0.1:port/gui"

and u will succedd..

and If u wanna access ur webui from external ip...from iphone for example...in uremote u should be putting 93.2.2.2:port/gui ...or if u have dns name for it "example.com:port/gui"

thats the thing

1.if u get invalid request it could be that u have to add port mapping instruction to firewall exceptions (if u dont have upnp enabled in utorrent)..

first try to disable firewall on ur pc with utorrent and then try to acess from iphone..

if it works...so do the step 1.

if doesnt sometthing wrong with webui settings.

also u can try to access from thesame pc entering NOT "localhost:port/gui" NOR "10.0.0.1:port/gui" BUT 93.2.2.2:port/gui...it should work as well...if it will then it was just network connection propblem on ur iphone ...if not...smth with firewall or NAT routing rules.

let me know how it goes

Thank you for taking the time to try to help me with this problem. Still not resolved. :( I apoligize in advance for the long post.

"Are you trying to do that connection locally (from behind the same router)?"

Yes, but I've also tried it on the iphone from 3G.

"You try to access to localhost:port/gui on iphone?....this way u just trying to access to ur iphone..coz localhost corresponds to ip of device which u r accessing from..."

No, I used localhost:port/gui to access it from my desktop and then my LAN IP to access it from the iphone with WIFI enabled.

"And this is right way to go...if ur computer and ur iphone are on the same LAN and ur pc have lan ip set to 192.168.1.1 ...u have to be able to access to ur webui if u set it properly..BUT

if again 192.168.1.1 is ur iphone LAN ip...like in 1st case u wont be able to acess to webui coz on ur iphone u have to enter IP of YOUR COMPUTER..

so"

Correct.

"If u have installed utorrent on pc with lan-ip 10.0.0.1 and ext-ip °93.2.2.2" and u want LOCALLY manage ur utorrent application via webui .u have to enter in browser "localhost:port/gui" OR "10.0.0.1:port/gui"

and u will succedd..

and If u wanna access ur webui from external ip...from iphone for example...in uremote u should be putting 93.2.2.2:port/gui ...or if u have dns name for it "example.com:port/gui""

That is right. I can access it through localhost on my desktop and use my LAN IP on the iphone.

As for accessing it via my PUB IP, it didn't work yesterday when I tried it on the safari web browser (on 3G). It gave me the same "invalid request page that I get when I try to access it using the PUB IP from behind the router. On top of that, now I've got some new issues with uRemote itself... :'( read below.

"1.if u get invalid request it could be that u have to add port mapping instruction to firewall exceptions (if u dont have upnp enabled in utorrent)..

first try to disable firewall on ur pc with utorrent and then try to acess from iphone..

if it works...so do the step 1.

if doesnt sometthing wrong with webui settings.

also u can try to access from thesame pc entering NOT "localhost:port/gui" NOR "10.0.0.1:port/gui" BUT 93.2.2.2:port/gui...it should work as well...if it will then it was just network connection propblem on ur iphone ...if not...smth with firewall or NAT routing rules."

I think I have those things covered unfortunately. As I said, I've tried to access it on from my desktop (which runs utorrent) using myip:port/gui. That gave me an "invalid request" page. Same thing from the iphone on both wifi and 3G.

I'll try to give out a little more info about my setting.

I am using winxp.

In utorrent ---

UPnP and NAT-PMP port mapping are both enabled and an exception to windows firewall (which is disabled anyway) is checked.

I have a linksys WRT54G router and I have forwarded the appropriate port (the one I use) for utorrent.

Something weird I just noticed; the port I chose in the "connection" tab doesn't match the one I get when I test it in the "speed guide". It has the same first few #s but the last one is different. i.e. xxxx2 xxxx4

Furthermore, I just realized that perhaps the port I am using is possibly in use by some other application? Anyway I'll try to tinker with that.

Lastly, the uRemote app in the iphone crashes whenever I open it. I have just enough time to check the settings which are:

HOST - mypubip

PORT - port

USER - ******

PASS - ******

-- no auto refresh --

This happened yesterday as well when I first tried to enter my PUB IP after getting it to work with my LAN IP but it would always revert back to the previous settings (LAN). I guess it finally kept the PUB IP permanently after I messed with the router/ports and whatnot but today I can't stay in long enough before it crashes to change them. Also, when I tried to go and uninstall it in the iphone "rock app" management, the uRemote icon had disappeared. So I searched for it and when I found it, I saw an install button instead of the usual uninstall when you already have the app. I went along and installed it, presumably over the previous one, but that did nothing to wipe the settings as they stayed the same. I then uninstalled it in the "rock app" management, went back to the MY IPHONE HOME where it had disappeared. I installed it yet again only to have the settings remain the same. What comes to mind is I probably have to delete some file or reset something but I haven't found any information in this particular case so I don't want to blindly start deleting stuff.

All this has brought me here. Again I thank you for the help and apologize for this long ass post. :P

**** UPDATE **** BTW, my iphone runs on the latest firmware. (3.1.2)

**** UPDATE #2 **** I finally got it to work by modifying my c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file.

Archived