Running uTorrent and a 'Google Talk' client?

robertkjr3d

I had running google's version of Google Talk and uTorrent streaming out quite a few torrents uploading torrents to the world. I capped the upload rate for about 5 torrents at 20mb/s However I don't think they were all going at that high a rate at once.

But this is what was happening to my G-Talk... It would Go up... for a little while... then down... up then down. I didn't know it was uTorrent that was causing it. I just started a new job that wanted me to use G-Talk. So I tried switching to the Pidgin client which allows you to use G-Talk as well. That did the same thing. Then it dawned on me... hmm let me bring down u-torrent. That was it! So is it the bandwidth? Is it the ports?

Oh also here is the thing... even if a different computer in my network is running utorrent and my base computer is running Pidgin 'Google Talk' I lose connection often.

Thankx,

Robert

So by the link you posted... I take it that you are suggesting that utorrent is eating my bandwidth to death, and I need to take those steps to tell it not to do it? hmm...

If that is the case.. Isn't it a matter of priorization? So wouldn't this be a bug? utorrent when it comes to traffic is supposed to run in the background and not take over the network.

If it is bandwidth that is bringing down my G-Talk... Should utorrent decide itself how much it can upload before bringing down my network? or bringing down g-talk? Or am I speaking in impossibilites?

Thankx,

Robert

thankx for you quick reply... I think I get it.

However its too complicated, and I did try one of them, and it did not work. I will not run utorrent and g-talk at the same time. Oddly it was not even uploading anything, and g-talk was disconnecting, and reconnecting. The two applications just do not get along. That is why I thought it was a port thing.

Thankx,

Robert

Archived