General Information about Port Assignments

WLS

Here is some information I thought might be useful for setting up port forwarding.

I found I am using an unassigned port in the Registered port range, and I should register it with the IANA. My port works fine, but I probably will change it into the Dynamic and/or Private range.

This is from the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

PORT NUMBERS

(last updated 2010-07-27)

The port numbers are divided into three ranges: the Well Known Ports,

the Registered Ports, and the Dynamic and/or Private Ports.

The Well Known Ports are those from 0 through 1023.

DCCP Well Known ports SHOULD NOT be used without IANA registration.

The registration procedure is defined in [RFC4340], Section 19.9.

The Registered Ports are those from 1024 through 49151

DCCP Registered ports SHOULD NOT be used without IANA registration.

The registration procedure is defined in [RFC4340], Section 19.9.

The Dynamic and/or Private Ports are those from 49152 through 65535

A value of 0 in the port numbers registry below indicates that no port

has been allocated.

Regards

i have no idea what you are on about..

That's understandable based on your other post. Since you are too lazy to read documentation and learn anything, I will try to explain what I am on about.

You have to set up a port in your client, set up port forwarding in your router, and open that port in your firewall. You have a choice of 65535 ports.

In the quote I provided from the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority, they register ports 0 through 49151, and they SHOULD NOT be used without IANA registration.

I provided the information and the link because (probably) like most of us, I was not aware of this requirement. I was using a port in the second range that SHOULD NOT be used without IANA registration. Although I don't think anyone is going to come after me for using it. However since I have a choice of 16383 ports in the 3rd range, I decided to change it. Use what ever port you like.

It was meant to be an educational post, hence the title General Information about Port Assignments.

Archived