Transfer %appdata%/uTorrent folder from Windows XP PC to Windows 7 PC

galacticninja

I transferred (copy-pasted) my '%appdata%/uTorrent' folder from a Windows XP PC to the '%appdata%/uTorrent' folder of a Windows 7 PC with a new install of uTorrent. I did this so I won't have to manually edit the preferences I have set and the directory settings again in the Windows 7 PC (which I will now be using). The .torrent files and the downloaded files are also transferred, but still in the same directories.

Are there any issues with this? Like settings-wise (Windows XP specific settings/configurations that might not work too good with Windows 7)?

If it's just the settings and not actually loading torrents from the previous PC, then there shouldn't be any severe problems. Directory settings may actually need to be updated because of the change from the use of the "documents and settings" folder to the use of the "users" folder system.

Taking the old torrents over is a pain because of that change in folder system, and requires editing of the resume.dat file in order for it to work.

The directory settings are not really a problem in my case (I have been able to complete downloads in Windows 7 that were incomplete in XP). This is because I put the downloaded .torrent files, the downloaded files and the incomplete downloads folder in just one folder and put that folder one notch below the root directory, i.e. 'C:\Downloads'.

I am more concerned of uTorrent settings (if there are any) that are XP specific or XP optimized that might carry over to the Windows 7 installation.

Archived