uTorrent...ISP Filtering????

zeldajae

Hey guys!

I download a torrent in a form of .txt file, then rename it again to .torrent file from preventing my ISP detecting it. Now my question is, can my ISP detect that I am downloading the torrent from uTorrent?

I mean like, once I download .txt file and rename it to .torrent file, put the .torrent file into the uTorrent Client, then I press start download. At this point, while the uTorrent is downloading, can my ISP detect that I am downloading this file??

If not, then how exactly are you guys preventing them from detecting it? If yes, then how can I bypass this?

My internet provider is ResNET. Its for On-campus undergrad. However I do not know who my ISP is.

Thank you!!

zeldajae

Once uTorrent starts running the torrent, it has to make tracker updates that the ISP can see unless the updates go through a proxy/VPN or are HTTPS trackers...but even then the ISP can see the traffic, it just can't read the contents.

When peers/seeds become aware you're on the torrent, they will be connecting to you via your listening port...which can be brutally obvious if you have many busy torrents running.

Okay. So, what I am understanding is that when utorrent runs the torrent, the ISP cannot detect what I am downloading, but they can see from where I am downloading, right?

Seeds are the people who are uploading the while to the internet to share it to others, right? If so, then if they connect to me, and I am downloading only 1 torrent running, can it still be obvious??

After I am done torrenting, my torrent file will seed so the file can be used by others, is it possible for the ISP to detect that I am seeding?

Sorry if I am asking to many questions, SORRY.

Many ISP use DPI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_packet_inspection) to inspect the packets, so they can easily detect your IP is sharing connections relative to p2p (emule, BT etc). And according their policy of QoS, they may apply bandwidth reduction to filter p2p during the peak hours e.g.

Remember the weak encryption of packets in µT fails against DPI.

About which torrents you're sharing, some companies (mandated by the beneficial owners, not the ISPs) track the sharers and report their IP to ISPs. They use fake clients (honey pot), fake torrents and sometimes fake trackers to collect the IPs.

Would that explain why my green check-mark turns yellow once in a while on my 21586 build. ISP throttling? I've gone through all firewalls network issues + speed guides. Build works fine for me, of course there are peek times of the day, popular unpopular torrents etc. but my green light goes to yellow and back quite often- I'm behind a router with my kids pc on the other end. would that affect the green check? Here's what my log sez [2010-09-02 18:51:50] Checking for forwarded port

[2010-09-02 18:51:51] Port Forward test complete. Results: Port not open.

[2010-09-02 18:51:51] Checking auto portmap configuration ...

[2010-09-02 18:51:51] Results: Port is open. Your network is properly configured.

Archived