speed drops from 2 mb/s to 0 within seconds

Bibilieli

I've recently bought a new Notebook and installed utorrent on my external hard drive (in case that's part of the problem). I've been using utorrent for years now and never had any trouble. But now the programme's really going crazy. When I start it, it instantly starts downloading at a rate around 2.0 mb/s, but within 10 seconds it goes back to nothing. Then it takes some minutes, before it starts downloading really fast again. Before now I've been downloading at a rate around 1 mb/s, but speed was constant and only chanced slightly.

My trackers are fine, I've got enough seeders and leechers and I've got exactly the same settings as in version 2.0.2 on my old Notebook. The only difference: Now there's a setting called "net.disable_ipv6" instead of the setting "net.calc_overhead". The new one (ipv6) is set on TRUE, the old one (overhead) is set on FALSE. Is that the problem maybe, and what's the difference and the reason for changeing it?

If you see where my problem is, please share your thoughts.

Cheers

Bibilieli

What is your HD status at that time? Does it say Disk Overload in the bottom of utorrent when this happens. I find my machines will have disk overloads when download at anything over 1.2 if I'm saving files to the OS drive.

USB Externals can also suffer from decreased max performance (30MB/s max transfer speed on direct transfer. Although you'll rarely see externals pass 20MB/s) With uTorrent the heads are bouncing all over the drive to write pieces so your max is significantly decreased.

Archived