Port issue?

oao

I am running latest version of uTorrent in up-to-date Windows XP64.

When I do a Speed Guite port test I get a yellow check sign with an asterisk and a message that the port is closed but I can still download.

However when I start downloading usually I get the yellow triangle at the bottom which rather quickly turns into the green circle, which means that the port is open. But once in a while the yellow triangle stays there and never changes.

If the port is closed, how come it opens during a download? And does the port behavior change with the specific downloads -- that is, it opens for some downloads but not for others?

Clarifications/advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Based on what I've been about UPnP (that most modems don't support it and it's bad) I unchecked it, so it's just Nat-PMP. I don't know what port triggers are.The router is an ATT 2Wire.

2 other issues with PeerBlock:

Lots of connections to BitTorrent Inc. with the auto-update off -- that was not happening before 2.0.4.

And there seems to be connections from the IP of my router to my own IP from my ISP,, it refers to PPPox

"The router is an ATT 2Wire."

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24593936-Speed-Problem-Failure-to-find-sites-DNS-problem-w2Wire

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=73560

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=515308#p515308

"Lots of connections to BitTorrent Inc. with the auto-update off -- that was not happening before 2.0.4."

This message thread discusses that:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=83214

PPPox = PPPoA or PPPoE?

I will read through those sources, thanks. However, pls note that my problem is not speed per-se, although my speed could be affected by those issues.

My question is if there can be an inconsistency between what the Speed Guide port test and the actual port status reported during downloads, and if so, why and what can be done about it, if anything?

Regarding the connects from my router to my own IP and your question: I DK, PeerBlock says only PPPox.

Those links had less to do with speed problems as complete show-stopping disasters.

"if there can be an inconsistency between what the Speed Guide port test and the actual port status reported during downloads, and if so, why and what can be done about it"

If the port used doesn't match the port reported, chances are it's UPnP/NAT-PMP screwups or a software firewall acting in a hostile manner towards uTorrent's traffic. Workarounds are ...Disable UPnP and NAT-PMP and/or try with software firewall uninstalled.

PeerBlock may be a problem-causer for uTorrent in its own right. :(

I have now disabled the following settings, under these sections:

Connection

-Enable UpnP port mapping

-Enable NAT-PMP port mapping

BitTorrent

-Enable DHT Network

-Enable DHT for new torrents

-Enable Local Peer Discovery

-Enable bandwidth management

Now when I do the Speed Guide port test I am getting a red X instead of a yellow V. Restoring them gets the yellow V back.

Well, I did disabled those two and Setup Guide gave me a worse result.

And why should the port be different, I set up one port and PeerBlock shows it. This relates to my question about randomizing, which I don't do right now but I would like to.

Did some more port testing.

The Auto Port Mapping setting enables both UpNP and Nat-PMP. When it is disabled I get a red X, which means that it must be On. If I disable both the latter, I also disable the Auto setting.

So the only 2 options possible with the Auto On are either UPnP on or Nat-PMP on. In either case I get a yellow V.

So it looks as if one of them must be On to avoid a red X, but either yields a yellow V.

Now what?

Randomizing ports will mean all the peers/seeds that saw you on a different port will likely be retrying that ip+port over and over again...since it worked before at least once. :P

"Well, I did disabled those two and Setup Guide gave me a worse result."

In what way? The speed tests it does are horribly unreliable. I trust speedguide.net for speed testing a LOT more.

UPnP and NAT-PMP can conflict with each other, so definitely only enable 1 of the 2.

Your modem-router may not even work reliably with uTorrent and/or UPnP or NAT-PMP. :(

Well, it has worked well with earlier versions of uTorrent. I changed nothing at my end.

I was not referring to the speed test in Speed Guide; that always gives me a red X probably because the servers are not available. I am concerned with the PORT test: with either UPnP or Nat-PMP on I get a yellow V with an asterisk.

With both of them off (and Auto mapping off) I get a red X, which is worse.

I am reiterating my original question: why, despite the yellow V, most of my downloads show a green circle and some a yellow triangle? If the Speed Guide says the port is closed, how come some downloads open it and others don't?

"Well, it has worked well with earlier versions of uTorrent. I changed nothing at my end."

Equipment can wear out. The operating system could get updates. Various other software may auto-update or be updated manually.

Even using USB Flash drives with your computer can put it at risk of getting *VERY* unwanted software installed on it.

"If the Speed Guide says the port is closed, how come some downloads open it and others don't?"

uTP and Teredo/IPv6 can get incoming connections (under some conditions only for uTP!) even if you're otherwise hopelessly firewalled. Unfortunately, the light at the bottom of uTorrent turns green if it gets any incoming connections.

Yes, all those are possible, but somehow I doubt that they can cause the port that was opening to not open anymore.

The IPv6 is off in uTorrent. I deactivated uTP and the green circle was replaced by the yellow triangle and the download became very slow. So if I understand you correctly, I can get a green circle and almost 300kb/s downloads even with the port closed? The latter would indicate that there are many inbound connections, which I doubt would happen with a closed port.

Any way, the router firewall is set up to accept uTorrent outbounds at the specific port and any inbounds to that port and Comodo firewall is also set up the same way. So if the port is still closed, how do I figure out what's causing the problem and fix it?

I thought you needed that info to respond to my basic question: what do I do to troubleshoot the closed port and fix the problem.

BTW, there are a lot of referrals to portforward.com. However, they have only a list of routers but not any documentation of how to handle them. They refer to their commercial program.

Archived