I am very new, I need help with uploading/seeding problems

Fleeting

Hey everyone, nice to meet you! I've been looking over FAQs and guides on this site, but I just don't really understand what some of it is supposed to mean, so I thought I'd post a thread here and see if anyone could help me out. Sorry if everything is answered for me somewhere else, but the guides just don't make that much sense to me..I kind of need stuff explained since I am new to this.

Basically my problem is that seeding takes forever for me. I downloaded an 8GB file using utorrent and I was downloading at 633.7 kB/s average according to the program and the download took around 3 and a half hours, but now that I am trying to seed it I can't seem to get the upload speed above 10 kB/s..that's going to take weeks to finish! It was around 25 kB-30kB/s before, but 10 is as high as it will go now and sometimes it even drops to below 1. The info under "transfer" says I am usually connected to 2-5 out of 24 "peers" (those are leeches right?) and 0 out of 0 seeds are connected, and I assume that is irrelevant to me since I am seeding and not leeching.

There is a little green checkmark at the bottom of the program telling me my network connection is okay, it says my port is opened in the logger. I ran the utorrent setup guide and beside Bandwidth and Network there are two green checkmarks, It says my upload speed should be 70.3 kB/s and download should be 286.3 kB/s. This doesn't add up at all, I am getting way below that in upload speed and way above in download..what am I missing? My ISP is Rogers HSI if that matters at all.

Is there any info you guys need that could let you help me out more? I really don't want to spend weeks seeding a file, I'd like to get my speed back up to where it was before because that was at least reasonable. Please help me out, thank you!

Rogers Cable ISP in Canada takes a very dim view towards people using BitTorrent clients to upload to other people, and throttles that to almost zero levels.

Treat your line as having only maybe 256-384 kilobits/second usable upload speed on 2nd link in my signature.

...And also try bits-and-pieces of workarounds from 3rd link in my signature, although I don't give high odds on that working. :(

Do you have any suggestions on what ISPs would be better? I was getting much faster speeds than I am now just a little while ago with the same ISP. Like I said in my post, I was getting 25-30 kB/s, but now it's sometimes below 1 and rarely above 10.

You mentioned using your links for help..but I don't really understand a lot of what you're saying in them. Is there any way you can walk me through what you're suggesting I do? For example, I was hoping you could tell me exactly what to do with my settings so I know I'm doing it right..sorry for the trouble, I am really illiterate when it comes to this.

MTS also takes on the same view as teksavvy. (not sure if you're anywhere near Manitoba or Ontario though so those might not even be an option)

Sasktel isn't too bad from my experiences. Haven't used it myself but I've heard decent things about telus as well.

Rogers and bell are the main ones to avoid.

Archived