Low priority for seeds with 0 peers

koll

This is a feature I would love to see as there's not much point seeding something that no one currently wants. It means I have to have ALL of my torrents seeding instead of just the ones that have peers, making the max number of active torrents setting pretty useless. :cry:

Sorry if this is a duplicate post (I would imagine it possibly is) but I couldn't find the thread.

PS - I just changed from Azureus. My god that thing slows things up! Welcome back free memory. Oh the speed... :twisted:

It is useful on the cleint side of things, but it is very annoying on the sever side. Many trackers base their torrent pruning on inactivity and if there are no seeds present, a torrent may accidentally be removed, simply beceause all the seeders don't want to seed somethign that isn't wanted. Guess what, if there are no peers, you aren't seeding anything, so you really don't need to worry about it. Besides, utorrent already has a feature where it doesn't count slow torrents in the torrent count. There really is no reason to implement this feature.

then you also have to see it from the perspective of the peer... if a peer opens up a torrent, successfully connects to the tracker, and finds no seeds, and nobody to get 100% of the file(s) from, what are the odds they're going to stick around all day hoping someone will drop in?

not very likely.

it doesn't take much bandwidth keeping the seed active with the tracker.

the same method used not to count slow downloads, could also be used not to count slow uploads, except if you are the only seeder, it doesn't put that seeding torrent back to queued status, but keeps it active while starting up another.

if a scrape reveals other seeders on a torrent, or at least 100% of the torrent is available with existing peers, then go ahead and requeue it since 100% of the file(s) is(are) already available.

-- Smoovious

Archived