Anyone having a problem with uTorrent hanging for while at a time

nags

Ok, now we know UPnP and/or NAT-PMP is causing you a disaster or 2...

What network card, router, and modem do you have?

One or more of them is probably to blame.

I have a Linksys WRT54G router. A Motorola Surfboard cable modem. And I use the onboard NIC on my Asus p5k Deluxe mobo. I've had the same setup for years now and never had this problem until the last few weeks. I also run 2 other computers here with uTorrent and don't have issues. I have no idea what may have been the cause on this one.

Pretty bog-standard stuff, though there are some serious networking issues with the Linksys WRT54G routers and even some Motorola Surfboard cable modems (especially 4xxx series -- could go into a pseudo-firewalled/192.168.x.x ip mode).

You using Tomato or DD-WRT firmware on the router? They're a little better at handling various features of uTorrent...though I believe UPnP still fails on DD-WRT. :(

But even with that, the more likely cause is Win 7 64bit for some reason. UPnP or NAT-PMP (does it even support that?) bugs in it seem possible...though I don't know why with older equipment. :(

Pretty bog-standard stuff, though there are some serious networking issues with the Linksys WRT54G routers and even some Motorola Surfboard cable modems (especially 4xxx series -- could go into a pseudo-firewalled/192.168.x.x ip mode).

You using Tomato or DD-WRT firmware on the router? They're a little better at handling various features of uTorrent...though I believe UPnP still fails on DD-WRT. :(

But even with that, the more likely cause is Win 7 64bit for some reason. UPnP or NAT-PMP (does it even support that?) bugs in it seem possible...though I don't know why with older equipment. :(

I've thought about installing Tomato, but every time I get ready to do it I decide I really don't need to.

This computer has always had Win7 64bit installed so I wonder why I never had the problem before. Maybe just a fluke. Either way, I'm very relieved to have it all sorted out and working now.

Client hangs on Windows 7 x64 are an unfortunate problem that is just a bug in Windows... SP1 will fix it. I've seen more than just uT be afflicted by it (Skype does it sometimes), but it's by far the most common app that has the problem.

Ah, good to know. I've never used Skype and haven't seen it anywhere else which is what landed me over here.

Either way... I'm running smooth as ever now.

uTorrent just beats a network to death compared to most other apps. :cool:

BitTorrent protocol and network regularly use 100's of connections, while anything else is unlikely to top 10 connections at once. So I expect it to be at least an order-of-magnitude more likely to trigger networking problems.

Archived