Torrents with MANY SEEDS are very slow!

zmin

I'm using uTorrent on Windows 7 through a Router. Ports are open, forwarded, allowed through firewall. Status is all green, internet speed is ok for most torrents. My ISP is fast, T1 (not DSL).

I have torrents with 10/200 seeds that are very slow (20kb/sec). What settings do I need to change?

Thanks! :)

I think it's related to the fact that from 200 seeds, the 10 i'm connected to are slow while there's probably a faster seed that I'm not connected to.

Is there way to disconnect slow seeds and look for faster ones? Is there a timeout setting?

yes i've already went though the guide, and the basic settings were the same as in the guide.

i don't want to change all the minor settings - that might actually slow things down instead. :rolleyes:

the speed is normally ok. i have problems just with "fresh" torrents and torrents with a lot of seeds.

if the torrent has more than 200 available seeds it'll usually be a long time till it connects to the faster wants.

peer.lazy.bitfield was enabled

peer.resolve_country just got enabled

:)

I've just changed net.half-open from 100 to 200.

I'm just asking why the torrent speeds vary so much:

E.g.: i have 2 torrents running right now, both 5/90 seeds, 45/350 peers and while one's running at 500kB/sec the other one's only at 80kB/sec (download speeds). i also have another torrent with 2/290 seeds and 45/1200 peers that's barely at 100kB/sec.

I've already provided the basic information:

* Windows 7 with uTorrent allwed through firewall

* New D-Link Router DIR-300

* T1 Connection, 40~80Mbit connection.

Settings for uTorrent are:

* Port 6881

* Network OK (green icon)

* UPnP/NAT mappings are on

* Protocol encryption enabled (legacy alllow on)

* Max global connection 500

* Max peers / torrent: 50

* Upload slots 4

Utorrent's currently running at 60kB down / 400kB up.

Local/metropolitan torrents reach a few megaBytes / second.

My current bandwith test renders speeds of (down/up):

45 mB / 15 mB ( my city in eastern europe)

30 mb / 7 mB (London)

5 mB / 5 mB (New York)

How to make your D-Link router explode. Increasing that number does NOT help you with speeds AT ALL.

* Port 6881

Not recommended due to widespread throttling of that port.

E.g.: i have 2 torrents running right now, both 5/90 seeds, 45/350 peers and while one's running at 500kB/sec the other one's only at 80kB/sec (download speeds). i also have another torrent with 2/290 seeds and 45/1200 peers that's barely at 100kB/sec.

There's a shopping list of factors involved that include, but are not limited to:

1> Your connection's actual speeds

2> The actual speeds of the other downloaders on that torrent

3> The number of firewalled peers in the swarm

4> The speed at which availability is increasing within the torrent

5> Whether or not you're over-using your line's upload speed at one of the chokepoints along the way.

How to make your D-Link router explode. Increasing that number does NOT help you with speeds AT ALL.

i saw numbers ranging from 4 to 200 should i reset it back to the default 100?

* Port 6881

Not recommended due to widespread throttling of that port.

i just read in a guide that recommended ports start from 6881 up to about 6981 (i was set on a random port - setting to 6891)

There's a shopping list of factors involved that include, but are not limited to:

1> Your connection's actual speeds

2> The actual speeds of the other downloaders on that torrent

3> The number of firewalled peers in the swarm

4> The speed at which availability is increasing within the torrent

5> Whether or not you're over-using your line's upload speed at one of the chokepoints along the way.

1-3> while i agree my main dilemma still remains: how can i tell utorrent to download from fast peers and disconnect the slow ones

4> most of these torrents have high availability since they are popular, and i have a list of extra trackers i use if needed

5> i don't have dsl, so upload throttling doesn't limit my download speed.

thanks for your info so far. :D

peer.lazy.bitfield was enabled

peer.resolve_country just got enabled

if you could give me some basic pointers i'd really appreciate it, i'm almost ready to revert to utorent's default settings :rolleyes:

i just read in a guide that recommended ports start from 6881 up to about 6981 (i was set on a random port - setting to 6891)

That guide is automatically not good to use.

1-3> while i agree my main dilemma still remains: how can i tell utorrent to download from fast peers and disconnect the slow ones

You don't.

4> most of these torrents have high availability since they are popular, and i have a list of extra trackers i use if needed

Adding trackers to torrents doesn't help with speeds. All it does is put extra strain on the trackers.

Archived