Good Upload Speed but Bad Download...?

Rhys Mog

Hey,

I've been using uTorrent for a while, and it's always worked perfectly. Until about 2 weeks ago, that is. I haven't changed ANYTHING about my connection, but now I can't seem to get over 10kB/s download. In the past my connection has hit 1.3MB/s download and about 140kB/s upload.

I am currently downloading a torrent (D3B805F5B349D068C437B32BAB13F6B002483726) which has upload speeds of ~130kB/s but the download speed is stuck down at 10kB/s.

I have tried:

uTorrent setup guide (thousands of times)

disabling DHT

adjusting max half open connections

allowing uTorrent through windows firewall and avast! antivirus software. (Triple checked)

resetting my router

restarting my pc

manually opening ports (at least 10 times)

I am running Vista on this laptop:

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=hp+pavillion+dv6+1216sa&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&cid=2576826510469692584&os=tech-specs

Can anyone help me sort this out? I don't want to wait 8 weeks to download this thing! :(

Cheers

Rhys

Hi Rhys

Is the problem with all torrents or just this one in particular? Are there plenty of seeds?

Assuming that the problem is with all torrents and not just this one I think I'm experiencing the same problem. It's been happening to me for over a month now, and affects both my computers. I posted on this forum asking if anybody could help but received no useful replies. I've tried absolutely everything: ports are forwarded correctly, green light, ISP doesn't throttle or shape, tried setup guides etc., it's absolutely wrecking my head! I even connected a new router, but still the problem is the same. I can still download really quickly from websites, and speed tests show around 17Mbps download.

I know this isn't much use to you but just wanted you to know that other people are experiencing the same issue. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread in the hope that someone works it out.

Hi Criostoir,

It is indeed for all torrents. I think my problem might be the ISP throttling. I'm with O2, which is on the list of known ISPs that throttle. Then again, I was at my girlfriend's house on the weekend and she has BT Total Broadband. The download speed was just as slow then... I don't know what to do. Is there even anything you can do if your ISP is throttling or shaping BitTorrent traffic?

Rhys

Bandwidth

Global Upload Rate Limiting

Maximum Upload rate: 90

Alternate upload rate when not downloading: 150

Global Download Rate Limiting

Maximum Download Rate: 1500

Global Rate Limit Options

[ ] Apply rate limit to transport overhead

[ ] Apply rate limit to uTP connections

[ ] Stop transfers on user interaction

Number of connections

Global maximum number of connections: 450

Maximum number of connected peers per torrent: 100

Number of upload slots per torrent: 6

[X] Use additional upload slots if upload speed < 90%

Queueing

Queue Settings

Maximum number of active torrents: 6

Maximum number of active downloads: 5

Seeding Goal

Minimum Ratio: 100%

Minimum Seeding time: 0

[ ] Seeding tasks have higher priority than downloading tasks

When uTorrent reaches the seeding goal

[X] Limit the upload rate to: 0

Any problems there? I'm only downloading the one torrent I mentioned above...

Rhys

I'm also on O2 so I phoned them to check whether they throttle bandwidth and was told that they do. I was told by the advisor that this has been the case since the introduction of the new packages, but I seriously doubt that as I've only noticed it recently. Between 4pm and 12am is classified as peak hours, but traffic will still be limited to an extent outside these hours. I'm gutted to be honest, always thought O2 were a great ISP but think I'll go elsewhere now.

I'm also on O2 so I phoned them to check whether they throttle bandwidth and was told that they do. I was told by the advisor that this has been the case since the introduction of the new packages, but I seriously doubt that as I've only noticed it recently. Between 4pm and 12am is classified as peak hours, but traffic will still be limited to an extent outside these hours. I'm gutted to be honest, always thought O2 were a great ISP but think I'll go elsewhere now.

DISLIKE.

Archived