Create torrent via WebUI thread?

TheSPAWN

Can somebody please tell me where the request thread is for creating torrents via WebUI?

I have made a couple of thread but one got deleted with no explanation and other got moved to trash with "Duplicate Thread" as a reply with no link to original thread.

I have used search but can not find the request anywhere.

Can somebody who remembers the thread find it for me as I cant locate it.

Thanks.

Because doing it over the web is weird? To actually be able to use the torrent, you'll need to upload all the files to the remote box, so it's not practical to do locally (and you can't really make a .torrent in javascript). And if you have all the files locally, it makes more sense to do it with a local app.

Remotely, you need to have the files on the server already and be able to tell uT to hash an arbitrary directory, which we don't want to implement (since someone can then just create a torrent from anything on your system).

It's a feature with little practical utility and big potential security issues.

Because doing it over the web is weird? To actually be able to use the torrent, you'll need to upload all the files to the remote box, so it's not practical to do locally (and you can't really make a .torrent in javascript). And if you have all the files locally, it makes more sense to do it with a local app.

Remotely, you need to have the files on the server already and be able to tell uT to hash an arbitrary directory, which we don't want to implement (since someone can then just create a torrent from anything on your system).

It's a feature with little practical utility and big potential security issues.

Not at all.

For example if you downloaded torrent from site A and wanted to seed to site B but you was doing everything remotely (via WebUI), You could just use the crate torrent function to create torrent from specified folder in your download directory and torrent would be created and added to other folder in there or automatically added to seeds.

You could lock it down so that it only uses folders you specify back end and not whole system. Also why would this need to be done in Java? It woudl simply be the UI that is in java and your back end client would create the torrent.

Alternatively we could use a program like mktorrent that rutorrent uses, there is a windows version.

Archived