uTorrent hogs all the ram in the system

skar

From FAQ:

What are µTorrent's system requirements?

Very low! µTorrent is designed to consume as few resources as possible to avoid impacting your computer use. µTorrent will work on Windows XP and up, including Windows 7. The Mac version supports OS X 10.5 and up.

Runing windows 7 x64, 4GB RAM, uTorrent 2.2.1. Simultaneously seeding only about a hundred torrents, being active usually 10-15 torrents at a time. With default settings in uTorrent my i5 becomes unresponsive! uTorrent hogs all 4 GB of my RAM (if weather is good then it will take only 3.5GB) thus forcing the system to use swap for any other operation - how responsive can a computer be when all it does is in the swap?

That said I can't even open a notepad without drinking a cup of tea, isn't utorrent supposed to consume only little resources as to not impact other apps? Why did I have to go in and restrain it manually to use less resources?

Set its buffer to 512MB now, without any productivity apps open I have only 30% RAM occupied vs 100% when it is on auto.

In other words your auto buffer handler is faulty and hogs to many resources.

P.S.: the usual transfer rates are at about 1-4MBps but can sometimes go up to 10MBps and with that the hdd has to also provide swap for every app that is not uTorrent.

Is it actually the utorrent.exe process eating the ram?

If it's not, then it's not uTorrent's fault but instead is windows' disk cache being stupid AGAIN.

In task manager I've never seen uTorrent having more than 80MB of private set. But in uTorrent settings have the windows' cache disabled and as soon as I've set the "Override automatic buffer size" I suddenly have free RAM and a lot of free RAM, although I've set the buffer to 512MB.

So don't think it is windows' fault, well not alone

We've gone over this issue for over a year now. It IS restricted to windows Vista and 7 with windows allowed to do independent disk caching of uTorrent.

If you turn on both of the "Disable Windows' Disk Caching" settings, performance improves.

Regardless, the root cause is that the windows disk cache does NOT handle torrenting disk traffic properly.

Archived