Slow downloading speeds

okeetris

I had new internet internet the other day and had great downloading speeds of up to 2mb/s and was managing to download movies in about 15 mins or less, but after about 2 weeks its slowed right down to about 500-1kb/s. i have changed port adresses and have looked at various forums to disover what is causing this but have not had any luck.

I have run speed checks a few times and during those briefs moments it goes back up high but then drops right back down once the check has finished.

I would be extremely grateful for any help or advice.

oh sorry, didnt realise what you were asking.

my upload speed is 6.9Mb/s

Protocol encryption is set to enable and im allowing incoming legacy connections.The Utorrent firewall exception is checked. I also tried downloading the slackware 13,37 32bit x85 and the download speed fluctuates between 2.9Mb/s and 500Kb/s.The router is ok and no firewalls are blocking it. UPnP and NAT-PMP are both enabled. Both bt_connect speed and net.max_halfopen are set at 4. is any of this useful?

Have you done your standard port forwarding from the router to the workstation. I would hardcode your IP within the DHCP of the router, then forward the port to your new static ip. Not having the port forwarded really slows things down.

As well, you might have been "throttled". Shawcable used to do that in our area (they don't anymore). Newer switches used by the IPS for DSL or Cable connections can actually "detect" bit torrent traffic, even if you choose encryption. Then they slow you down if they detect Bit Torrent traffic! I was throttled for years until I switched ISP.

Question, what happens when you do a speed test while Utorrent is on? Are your speeds super slow ? Then do they speed up dramatically 2 minutes after you turn off Utorrent ? Setup Utorrent so it's not on max download speed, just something like 100kbs, and see what happens. If you speed up dramaticly... it might be due to throttling on the ISP's side. Been there...

i dont know how to find out if i have a SPI up, but when i run a speed test while a torrent is active, the download speed goes high when the test is running, but as soon as the test had stopped it goes back down to slow. upload is 1.0MB/s upload and 1.6MB/s dowload with test result at 8.7Mbit/s.

Archived