Slow speed since updating

jamie_bisson

OK, firstly I want to apologize for this post as it is a recurrent theme, but the answers i have read do not seem to cover my issue.

I have a 4Mbit download speed when i test my connection with a speed testing site, however when I use uTorrent I used to get the expected 400KB/sec download speeds when I was using a 9.x version of uTorrent. I have since made the fatal mistake of updating to the latest version and am now only getting speeds of 80KB/sec.

My port forwarding is working fine. My ISP did not throttle my speed, as I was downloading at 400KB/sec before. Even if it did I tried to map to a port >10,000 as they don't look to throttle for ports that high. It mapped fine, but did not improve speeds.

I have automatic bandwidth management enabled and I have also tried to manually enter respectable 530KB/sec and 80KB/sec in download and upload speeds with no improvement.

My global limit is 200 and per torrent limit is 70 and I am not receiving that many connections to be causing this issue.

DHT and PEX are enabled. Encryption is enabled, but not forced. I have also tried to disable, but that also does not improve the issue.

I am also not limiting my speed in the scheduler.

Any suggestions people???

Jamie

Check your mac firewall settings? Reboot? Sorry things are not working for you. It's not a widespread problem as far as we know. You might also test that it's not a torrent specific thing by downloading something very well seeded like Open Office...

Actually I'm in the same boat. I updated to 1.5.11 today when I went to download something and now my speeds are pretty consistently crappy. I used to be able to hit 2 Mb/s, but now I'm lucky if I can hit 400 kB/s. And this is on a torrent with 100's of seeds and even more peers.

What else is odd is that the status bar indicates a good connection (green), but when I look in the network preferences it's red. I don't know what's going on, but I didn't have this problem with the older version.

Oh and I even went as far as to put a port forward in just in case and that didn't help at all. I didn't used to have one in at all to get the speeds mentioned. I'm going to try getting the older version and see if that does indeed correct the issue since that's the only thing that changed.

Downgrading didn't seem to help at all. However if I increase my global and per torrent limits my speed increases dramatically. It was set to 500/100 which is how it was prior and I had no trouble getting top speeds. I increased it to 800/200 and watched my speeds jump from 300 kB/s to 1.6 Mb/s - briefly. Then it settled down to around 550 kB/s. My upstream is set to 100 kB/s and it's saturated.

Kind of odd behavior, but I can't seem to find any other culprit. Oh and I rebooted just in case that might be part of it - didn't do anything. I also removed the port map I put in. According to the logs, the NAT-PMP is mapping it properly on my router anyway.

With these global and per torrent settings I'm still only getting slightly more than 100 connections total, but it's more than when I had it set lower. I dunno. Gonna leave it like this for now since it seems to be bursting up better now. Wish is would stay put above 1 Mb/s though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Check your mac firewall settings? Reboot? Sorry things are not working for you. It's not a widespread problem as far as we know. You might also test that it's not a torrent specific thing by downloading something very well seeded like Open Office...

Mac system is used all around the world specially in the business field. However, there are times when the speed of Mac system becomes slower. There are so many reasons that makes Mac system process slower like full memory space, hot processor, number of apps set to run on startup, etc. To enhance the processing speed of Mac system the following things can be done:

Clean not required codes.

Remove unnecessary languages and translations.

Clean Other System Preferences.

Clean Startup items.

Clean hard drive.

(http://lowendmac.com/eubanks/07/0312.html)

Or a third party tool to improve Mac speed is also helpful in this situation.

Source: http://improvemacspeed.com

Archived