No upload speed since updating to 3.1.2

OrangeRight

Everything was fine until I upgraded to 3.1.2. While download speeds are just as good as they were, I just cannot connect to a peer most of the time. Once in a blue moon, I do get a peer connection, but other than that, nothing.

Should mention that the lower right status icon is usually green.

I tried to download the OpenOffice.org torrent with the same issue happening, so it seems to be a general problem.

Bandwidth:

(EDIT: Re-did it by using USA, CA, Mountain View)

Upload 4.2 Mbit/s (512.0 kB/s)

Download: 20.4 Mbit/s (2.4 MB/s)

Current Settings (2.9 Mbit/s)

Upload Limit: 409.0 kB/s

Upload Slots: 8

Connections (per-torrent): 100

Connections (global): 500

Max active torrents: 7

Max active downloads: 6

Network:

Results: Port is open. Your network is properly configured.

Router: Belkin F9K1102 v1

ISP: Comcast (Cable)

What I've tried:

Restarted uTorrent. Nothing.

Deleted settings.dat, put in my port again. Nothing.

Used the Bandwidth tests to determine my ideal upload and download limits. Nothing.

Lowered net.max_halfopen to 4. Nothing.

Lowered bt.connect_speed to 4. Nothing.

Reset both of those settings to default. Nothing.

Disabled DHT. Nothing.

Enabled protocol encryption. Nothing.

Reenabled DHT. Nothing.

Disabled UPnP and NAT-PMP port mapping. Nothing.

Security Software:

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

AVG

Windows Firewall

No viruses detected by any of them

For the OpenOffice.org one (filename is OOo_3.3.0_Win_x86_install-wJRE_en-US.exe):

Seeds: 0 of 15 connected (32 in swarm)

Peers: 0 of 32 connected (2 in swarm)

EDIT: I just downloaded a file from a tracker I use often, and it seeded like it should. More than likely, it's the fault of the files themselves rather than the program itself. Sorry for jumping to conclusions, and thank you for your time.

I have somewhat similar problem I THINK. Ever since I jumped from 2.2.1 to 3.1.2 I couldn't get any upload to get going. Finally, yesterday something started to seed, but usually it never goes over 40kB/s (got 3mbit connection here). With 2.2.1 I was seeding at full speed most of the time.

I followed the version 3 setup guide and set my uT according to that.

When opening and start to download on UTorrent, the amount of bites being downloaded on my 3G vs the bites on uTorrent doe not match. After downloading 2 series of 700mb, it indicated on my 3G that it was more than 1G. As soon as I shut down uTorrent the download stream comes down to nearly 0 on the 3G and this is after I've shut down the download of the series I was busy with. It seems uTorrent is downloading something while I'm downloading a series as well. Can you assist? It's eating up my Gigs...like now, 3G shows 559kbps, while uTorrent shows 59kbps

When opening and start to download on UTorrent, the amount of bites being downloaded on my 3G vs the bites on uTorrent doe not match. After downloading 2 series of 700mb, it indicated on my 3G that it was more than 1G. As soon as I shut down uTorrent the download stream comes down to nearly 0 on the 3G and this is after I've shut down the download of the series I was busy with. It seems uTorrent is downloading something while I'm downloading a series as well. Can you assist? It's eating up my Gigs...like now, 3G shows 559kbps, while uTorrent shows 59kbps

First of all: your question is totally unrelated to this thread.

You should either open a new thread to ask in, or find an existing one that's related to your question.

Secondly: you shouldn't mix up kbps and kBps, one stands for kilobits per second, the other for kiloBytes per second (1 Byte = 8 bits).

While your device likes to talk in Bytes, your ISP (Internet Service Provider) prefers to talk in bits, because it makes them look bigger, faster and generally more badass (scammers...)

And finally: the extra data you're downloading is part of the so called traffic overhead (or protocol overhead), which is a necessary component in communication.

The internet is a vast place, where lots of devices are connected to one another.

Sometimes, there are communication errors for various reasons (too much traffic on the line, signal delays, and many other reasons).

However, as a user you don't want "wrong data", you want the correct ones. But how can you reliably deliver data, when the communication channel itself isn't reliable?

There are lots of different methods to do so, like sending the data multiple times and have the recipient find out what the correct data is supposed to be, or sending a signature of the data (Hashsum, Checksum, CRC, or others) and have the recipient ask for replacement if the data is wrong.

Whenever you connect to the internet, you'll always upload and download more data, than what you'll actually see or hear.

Torrents are no exceptions.

Pretty much have the exact same issue...... 100ish active torrents. Before I uploaded steadily @ 3mb/s, now I am lucky if once in a while it peaks up to 6-700k once in a blue moon.

25/25 mbit connection.

Connectable, Tried 2 different Trackers. Download speed totally unaffected... 2.8-3.1 mb/s

I'm experiencing the same problem. It was only upon installation of 3.1.2 that I noticed the upload issue. It doesn't seem to happen on every torrent, but it does on most. I don't have enough data to determine if it might be related to either the block size or the number of blocks in a torrent. The tracker I most frequently use requires a 50% seed ratio for full service. I'm not achieving that for the torrents downloaded since the 3.1.2 upgrade. Fortunately, my cumulative seed ratio is still high enough for now.

Alan G

From the info tab:

"X of Y (Z in swarm)"

for both Seeds and Peers.

Sorry, I didn't understand that it was request to post some info.:|

The most seeding tasks like

Seeds: 0 of 43 connected (1 in swarm)

Peers: 0 of 137 connected (0 in swarm)

A less seeding tasks like

Seeds: 0 of 0 connected (26 in swarm)

Peers: 4 of 145 connected (119 in swarm)

and no upload at all

Something like

Seeds: 3 of 3 connected (10 in swarm)

Peers: 1 of 15 connected (6 in swarm)

when downloading

Seeds: 0 of 43 connected (1 in swarm)

Peers: 0 of 137 connected (0 in swarm)

Likely none of the peers are actually there.

Seeds: 0 of 0 connected (26 in swarm)

Peers: 4 of 145 connected (119 in swarm)

The peers that are there aren't really interested in you.

Seeds: 3 of 3 connected (10 in swarm)

Peers: 1 of 15 connected (6 in swarm)

Assuming the swarm is actually that active, this indicates hostile ISP.

Confirmed Issue

Same problem after update to 3.1.2 build 26821 windows XP SP3

DL at full speed but uploading speed is around 0.3 instread of 50 KBS !!

Maybe thats because u are using all the data bandwith in the download. If u want to upload something, u need to give "space" and never use all the download bandwith without leaving some kbs of space.

I am using the last version and i can download at 90% of full download speed and upload at maximum capacity, no problems in that. The only problem i have is that i get the red flag of the listening port and i cant get it to green, even if utorrent seem to be working fine. But this is another story that i am afraid im not going to figure it out.

If you set upload rate to 0(unlimited) it work at full speed but if you put any other limit the upload rate goes drastically down.

I can verify that this is my problem also using 3.1.3 when uploading...

Anything other than 0(unlimited) for the upload rate barely seeds.

I'm trying to troubleshoot through process of elimination with various setting in the advanced section but no positive results.

• 2 weeks later...

I have also noticed extremely low upload speeds since upgrading to version 3.1.2. build 26773.

I currently have a file which is downloading at over 200 kB/s but uploading at less than 1 kB/s

From info tab

Download speed 243 kB/s (avg 108.7 kB/s)

Upload speed 0.3 kB/s (avg 524 B/s)

Seeds 33 of 227 (55 in swarm)

Peers 10 of 62 (13 in swarm)

Prior to the upgrade ...

My download speeds varied anywhere from 20 - 400 kB/s. EG getting 200 for one file, 100 for another file and 50 for a third file - all at the same time.

My upload speeds fluctuated between 20 kB/s - 40kB/s spread over all uploads. EG Six files seeding at 5kB/s each.

Of the five files I am seeding at this moment, not one of them is over 1kB/s.

My share ratio is sitting on a lousy 0.6 With the completed download taking so long to feed back, it will be 12 weeks before I can download anything more if I want to bring that back up to 1.0!

Thank you for taking the time to try and educate me :-)

My maths isn't strong but I think I understand what your saying... a file that has many seeds and low peers will upload slowly no matter what my settings are.

Would this one 'problem' file affect all of the uploads occuring at the same time?

One of my other files has

Seeds 0 of 146 (45 in swarm)

Peers 12 of 78 (13 in swarm)

and is also only uploading at 0.3 kB/s

Archived