how do you download part of a torrent?????

barny99

When downloading a torrent with a large number of files, how do you select the files you want and not ave to download the whole lot.

An example of this is comic book torrents like "o-day week". If the file size is 3GB and I only want 30mb, how do I do this?

when utorrent asked to be updated i accepted to version 3.1.2 and now can not choose the files I specifically want to download from a particular torrent. Help would be much appreciated......:)

have found similar threads and there is no genuine solution. I have tried the suggestions and the dialogue box still does not appear when the torrent is selected for download.

the 2.20 version worked perfectly and allowed you to select the the files you want from the torrent so that you did not have to download the entire file. Version 2.20 still works well as I tried it on my other computer and no dramas at all! WTF is wrong with this stupid version and is there a patch for it or a clear guide to correct this issue! I am sick and tired of having to download GB to access MB of data! There must be a solution? I have downloaded the latest version and have selected "Show a window that displays the files inside the torrent in advanced mode" in the UI settings and have selected "Apply" and nothing is working !

All I want to simply do is select files i don't want and download the rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clarification please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having this issue for quite some time and have tried to resolve it EVERY WAY possible.

Not that long ago, this function was working perfectly. By checking a couple of boxes, you could choose which parts of a torrent to download every time.

Preferences-->UI Settings-->["When Adding Torrents" Section] [X] "Show a window that displays the files inside the torrent in advanced mode.

01-uTorrent--ShowawindowMedium.jpg

Then, if the torrent file was already located on your computer, you'd simply open the file with "Ctrl + O" or through the toolbar:

02-uTorrent--AddTorrentToolbarButtonMedium.jpg

If the torrent file wasn't already on your computer, you'd have to find it on the Internet and then either "Open" it which would activate uTorrent (IF the file extension was attributed to uTorrent AND Preferences-->UI Settings-->"Activate the program window" was selected) OR.Download the torrent file to your computer and then repeat the process in the 2nd pic above.

If your settings were set as specified above (or if you simply opened the torrent manually), an "Add New Torrent" window would pop-up and would need to be Expanded by clicking on the Double Down Arrow (After expanding this window the first time, "Expanded" would become this window's default setting).

03-uTorrent--ExpandDLWindowcombinedMedium.jpg

HERE is where things are different than they used to be. In the past, when the "Add New Torrent" window was expanded, all of the files within the torrent download would be listed in the "Torrent Contents" along with their respective file-sizes. But NOW, this box remains blank and the "Size" says "0 B" instead of stating the total size of the download (Total Torrent Size - Any files unchecked)

04-uTorrent--TorrentFileSelectionduringDownloadMedium.jpg

I read SOMEWHERE that this problem is due to the fact that torrents with MAGNET LINKS are not processed identically as torrents with "regular" links. Regular links open without this issue (or so I've been told). I just tried a couple of sites which offered NON-Magnet links and the Torrent Contents WERE displayed with the check-boxes to de-select individual files.

What to do from here?!

The 'simplest' option for torrents that you want to only DL parts of, would be to DL torrents with Non-Magnet links. Sounds simple but it's probably impractical because IMHO, the sites with the best torrents (properly labeled, spam & fake torrents being rare, plenty of seeders, etc) seem to be using Magnet Links.

As [userid]tech.kyle[/userid] mentioned, there IS another way to DL only PART of a torrent's contents. It's slower and and more inconvenient than how we've done it in the past, but it does work (maybe):

Let's walk thru the steps of option #2:

Follow the details in this pic (which kind of takes you back a little bit)

12-uTorrent--UncheckStarttorrentMedium.jpg

Select the correct "Save As" location

(or you can change that setting globally here: Preferences-->Directories-->[X] "Put new downloads in:" and then choose/create a folder such as "C:\Users\Owner\Downloads" or "C:\Users\Owner\Music"

Click "OK" to add the torrent to uTorrent's Queue.

Single-click the newly added Torrent that you want to only download part of.

Select the "Files" tab of the "Detailed Info" panel located at the bottom of the uTorrent window.

09-uTorrent--DetailedInfoPanelMedium.jpg

This will show the names & sizes of all of the files contained in the torrent file's download.

These can be sorted by name (Path) or size by clicking on the Title Bar at the top of either column.

As you identify individual files, right-click on them & choose "Don't Download". You can also select multiple simultaneously by holding "Ctrl" or "Shift" until done selecting.

10-uTorrent--DetailedInfoPanel-DontDownloadMedium.jpg

Files marked as "skip" can be changed back to files in the download queue by Right-clicking them (single or multiple) and choosing "Prioritize by File Order" until their priority is changed to the desired priority level.

NOTE: I'm NOT CERTAIN that files marked as "skip" thru the "Don't download" method will be ignored completely as opposed to simply being skipped and then downloaded after all other files are done. I've done some research into this possibility but couldn't find any CONCLUSIVE answers. Try it and post back to let the rest of us know how it worked.

• 4 months later...

From 559Josh - as I'm having precisely the same problem/dilemma - PB no longer uses ordinary download links, just the magnetic ones so this is my problem also. Josh said -

Click "OK" to add the torrent to uTorrent's Queue.

Single-click the newly added Torrent that you want to only download part of.

Select the "Files" tab of the "Detailed Info" panel located at the bottom of the uTorrent window.

Then he said:

This will show the names & sizes of all of the files contained in the torrent file's download.

These can be sorted by name (Path) or size by clicking on the Title Bar at the top of either column.

As you identify individual files, right-click on them & choose "Don't Download". You can also select multiple simultaneously by holding "Ctrl" or "Shift" until done selecting.

I'm using uTorrent 3.2 and despite trying to follow 559Josh's instructions as best I can, I'm finding after I select the torrent to download (using don't start) and I then click on the files link as he shows, nothing happens or comes up?! That box and also the info tab next to it is also empty. Am I supposed to start it first until uTorrent grabs all the necessary info and then stop it and select files tab etc? Certainly doesn't seem right from what Josh says, incuding his briliant screenshots.

Can anyone help with this please and is ANYONE going to bring back this feature any time soon even for those who use magnetic links? I do hope so!

Anyway thanks and hope someone can help/advise soon.

Cheers

So you've turned on "Show a window that displays the files inside the torrent in advanced mode" AND clicked the "Toggle torrent view" button until you got the columnar view then?

As I'm having the same problem, hope you don't mind me 'butting in'. :)

Answer yes to the first question - turned on the show a window thing but can't find this "Toggle torrent view" button you mention(ed). Please can you advise where I (we) can find this please? Sorry if that sounds a typical 'newb' question. Wouldn't think I've been using computers for 30+ years (1982) and uTorrent for some time. :D

Actually I agree with someone else who said v 2.2 worked fine before (why fix something that ain't broke, uTorrent developers?! [sigh]) but I'm using 3.2 and as a consequence have 'joined the club' of those having this problem.

Thanks a lot, Nick

Stop being so impatient, make sure DHT is enabled and working, and wait for the dialog to populate.

Sorry, did you mean me? If so DHT is active within my options/settings although showing inactive within the trackers tab in the 'below' section/area but that's because I haven't yet started the torrent, isn't it? We were advised (as I think I quoted in my other longer reply?) to 'install' the torrent file unstarted in order to select which files we didn't want to upload so as I asked in my other message, do I need to start the torrent now and then deselect the files within the torrent file that I don't want or is it too late by then?

Thank you for YOUR patience. :)

Archived