What do I do?

addison54

Hi all,

I foresaw a possible problem with a hard drive nearing the capacity limit, so I edited the "Move completed downloads to:" line in Preferences and then moved the completed downloads to that drive / directory. Now I have a problem getting uTorrent to seed the newly moved completed torrents -- it wants to start downloading these files again. Can someone provide a solution to my seeding problem?

Did you move the files with uTorrent or move them outside of uTorrent? When you change the completed download location that will be for all FUTURE torrents that are completed, NOT existing completed torrents. You need to set the download location for each set of torrents you moved outside of utorrent and force-recheck. Or you can use the btEncode(? search this forum) to change the uTorrent database to reflect their new location.

Did you move the files with uTorrent or move them outside of uTorrent? When you change the completed download location that will be for all FUTURE torrents that are completed, NOT existing completed torrents. You need to set the download location for each set of torrents you moved outside of utorrent and force-recheck. Or you can use the btEncode(? search this forum) to change the uTorrent database to reflect their new location.

I shutdown uTorrent and moved them outside of uTorrent.

I did a search of the forum for btEncode - didn't find anything except your response. Did a Google Web search and discovered that you may have misspelled the word: BEncode. After doing a read of BEncode, I think I may just delete all .torrents + data and start fresh (weekend project). At least all future completed torrents will be going to a large enough drive - 1TB. Thanks for your response.

Did a Google Web search and discovered that you may have misspelled the word: BEncode.

He did.

And he's right about one thing. Preferences aren't retroactive to already-loaded torrents. Moving files outside of uTorrent REQUIRES you to tell uTorrent about the move somehow.

It's the "somehow" that doesn't seem to be "user friendly"... If there's a way to move completed torrents to another drive/directory from WITHIN uTorrent, I may be able to continue seeding otherwise the torrents and data are being deleted this weekend.

When I installed uTorrent, I thought a 250GB drive would be large enough to hold the torrents. Not enough careful planning on my part.

Archived