Why are the usual torrent file sizes changing?

SecretMaster

I don't know what's going on, but in the last few months people have been posting torrents of different file sizes than what you would expect. For instance, for the past 7 years (since I discovered torrents), the standard 30-minute television show was 175MB. One-hour show was 350MB and the usual 90-minute to 2-hour movie was 700MB. Some minor variations of about 3-20 MB depending on the size of the file were expected, but that was about it.

But for the past month or two months, I'm seeing 30-minute shows at wildly divergent sizes, from 130-500MB, 60-minute shows at 190-800MB, and 90-minute movies at 600-1000MB. Again, there have always been some outliers, even up to recently, but now it's almost impossible to find quality files that match the old sizes of last year, or even a few months ago.

What gives? Why did this happen all of a sudden? Can anyone explain what's going on?

Kind of a weird, specific question, I know, but it's bothering me. Thank you!

A) Don't know how to get in contact with those people/there's no way to get in touch with those people.

B) This is a general-interest question regarding uTorrent, since that is used to download torrents.

C) Figured that since people here do use torrents, some here would have experience with what I'm talking about//maybe have an answer.

That's why.

Thanks.

This is your definition of "content-specific"?

My question is one regarding themes and trends in torrenting and the torrent community in general, not specifically. One could say it is an examination of uTorrent's interaction with the evolving torrent technology.

If you don't know the answer to this question or have not noticed it, then that's fine. I appreciate your input anyway.

Again, thanks.

SecretMaster: The reason the question is ..... well not very useful (in my opinion) to an organization that develops communication software is it (the organization) has little or nothing to do with the content (data). It is just that - data. There is no Industry Standard on what software you should use to rip a dvd/cd or copy a video feed. There are many output formats, bps, scale, etc. that the copier may choose from. In some cases they select video and/or audio codec that is/are not available on your machine and you need to download it. The size and quality is up to the person who rips NOT the communication system that moves the data. Since most of the stuff out there is copyright(ed) and people download it - it would not be smart for the ripper (so to speak) to include their name, address, and phone number to contact them if there is an issue. I mean who wants to get busted for ripping and distributing copyright material. For that anonymity, you need to suffer/accept what ever format the creator of the data file decides to use.

This site is about the P2P protocol and the movement of data - NOT what the data is. They could care less. Their concern is to have the best P2P communication system.

Archived