Files not written when computer in excessive use

ArchaeologicalMonstrosity

I'm using a bitcoin miner, which maxes out my processor and graphics card both at the same time. While doing this, uTorrent will not write files to the disk, or will write very slowly.

I have uTorrent set to high priority and the miner set to lowest. It has the processor time, but is choosing not to use it.

To reproduce:

Download something in uT while maxing processor, maybe folding@home or bitcoin

Watch disk statistics in Speed tab

See cache fill up and hdd not being used

Stop folding

See cache empty quickly, and immediately.

While doing this, uTorrent will not write files to the disk, or will write very slowly.

And you are surprised at this behaviour ..given this information ...

which maxes out my processor and graphics card both at the same time.

because???

I have uTorrent set to high priority and the miner set to lowest.
Permanently or just for the current session.
It has the processor time, but is choosing not to use it
Nope! Windows is 'choosing' NOT to give uTorrent more CPU time.

The applications have no control at all over the processor time that Windows gives to each running instance.

I'm using a bitcoin miner, which maxes out my processor and graphics card both at the same time.

Mining on your CPU is useless, turn it off.

While doing this, uTorrent will not write files to the disk, or will write very slowly.

Had this problem to on my older rig. I have no clue if this has been done intentionally or is a bug, but I've had it years back.

I have uTorrent set to high priority and the miner set to lowest. It has the processor time, but is choosing not to use it.

Even when setting a task to "High priority" in the task manager, this does not mean it will get said CPU time. If another application simply keeps hogging your CPU uTorrent wont be let through. Try loading your CPU with Prime95, and give some random application a high(er) priority. Nothing will happen to said application.

Even if this is a bug: Please stop folding/mining on your CPU. Its an utter waste :< .

This bug seems to be closely related to the problems experienced here as well:

Completed torrents are slow to move due to very low I/O priority

uTorrent 3.2.2 - Disk overloaded 100 %

Just ignore what ciaobaby is saying, since they don't seem to have the foggiest idea of how software works.

There is indeed a bug with the disk IO here, as the IO thread seems to be getting starved even when the Process Priority is increased.

Archived