Automatic Shutdown Bug

Hesham4488

Bug:

When set to any of the "(Do something) when Downloads Complete" actions, the Auto Shutdown event seems to fire on the condition where no active torrents have a status of "Downloading"

Effect:

That means that when a torrent's status is still "downloading metadata" it won't count as an active download and the event will mistakenly fire.

the Auto Shutdown event seems to fire on the condition where no active torrents have a status of "Downloading"
So you mean that it triggers when there are no more "Downloading" jobs then??

"downloading" means 'actually transferring data' NOT 'Still looking for data', so it is not a uTorrent problem, simply your misconception of what 'Downloading' means in this context.

"downloading" means 'actually transferring data' NOT 'Still looking for data', so it is not a uTorrent problem, simply your misconception of what 'Downloading' means in this context.

Well, the event is supposed to trigger whenever the program has no more jobs on the 'Download Queue' as well, not only 'Active Downloads', hence the statement 'when Downloads Complete' NOT 'when Active Downloads Complete'.

If something on the 'Download Queue' still needs to retrieve required entries first before starting to actually download the real data that doesn't mean it's not on the 'Download Queue' anymore.

You can verify this by setting the max downloads in the queue to 1 and starting 2 new downloads, one will be immediately in the state "downloading metadata" and the other will be queued, it will not acquire metadata as well because it's considered a second 'Download' job whilst the queue allows only one at a time.

Well, the event is supposed to trigger whenever the program has no more jobs on the 'Download Queue' as well,

Nope the vent triggers when:

Shutdown when Downloads Complete shuts the computer down when all currently downloading torrent jobs reach 100% download completion.

Shutdown when Everything Completes shuts the computer down when all currently active torrent jobs are completed.

From the uTorrent manual.

Nothing there about "queued jobs"

Nothing there about "queued jobs"

Basically when you add something to the queue you 'Start' it so these jobs are considered running but are just on hold.

The program already considers queued downloads as download jobs, that's is not my concern right now. For example, if you have 3 or more downloads on a 1-by-1 queue and the first one finishes (or you stop it) and the second one is still downloading metadata the Auto event will NOT trigger, obviously because the program considers the third torrent in the queue a download job. The bug I'm talking about here is that if the last torrent in the queue still has to download its metadata it will be left out!

Why would anyone want this to happen? :)

• 1 month later...

Hi i was having the same problem. In the past version i had no problem downloading queued torrents. But now after downloading one it shuts down automatically. as what you said when its downloading the metadata. I tried downloading 2 queued torrents then stopped the active one and then the 2nd one started "gathering metadata". The system shut down pops up. That's the problem. uTorrent doesn't recognize it as an active one. I think its a problem on magnet links since it has no physical info about the torrent file. compared to downloading the actual .torrent file which has the info it needs to start downloading immediately. (Confirmed this by the way). So i found a temporary solution. (only applies on magnet torrent links). 1st start your queued downloads. After the 1st torrent finished gathering its metadata and actually says on the bar "downloading 0.2%" stop it and start the 2nd one then let it download its metadata too and says on the bar "downloading 0.2%". Then so on and so forth until every metadata of the torrents are gathered. Then go back to you 1st priority download and start auto shutdown when download is complete. That's what i did and it worked. I hope uTorrent fixes this bug soon. MORE POWER UTORRENT! :-)

Archived