Any reason to update from 2.2.1 (Windows 8)?

crunchysalty

Even though uTorrent doesn't officialy support Windows 8 until version 3.2.2, I've haven't had any problems (yet) with 2.2.1 in Windows 8.

What exactly does it mean when 3.2.2 is "Windows 8 compatible"? Does this imply that 2.2.1 is not completely compatible with Windows 8?

I haven't upgraded yet because of ads, Opencandy, and BunndleOfferManager.

Is there any reason for me to upgrade from 2.2.1 to 3.2.2 in Windows 8? (for example, if 3.2.2 has a more reliable Force recheck / Hash check then I would upgrade immediately)

2.2.1 is NOT supported on these forums.

I haven't upgraded yet because of ads, Opencandy, and BunndleOfferManager.
Ads can be turned OFF and if you pay attention during the installation you won't get any 'extras'.

Yes I realize ads can be turned off, but you can't install uTorrent 3.2.2+ without installing Bunndle, and /NOCANDY isn't working on this particular PC.

Just because 2.2.1 isn't supported doesn't mean someone can't chime in about the advantages of 3.2.2 in Windows 8 (as I said, "Windows 8 compatible" doesn't explain much when older versions work in Windows 8).

but you can't install uTorrent 3.2.2+ without installing Bunndle, and /NOCANDY isn't working on this particular PC.
Wrong. I have installed several versions of 3.2 and 3.3 on different computers and NONE of the machines I installed it on have any unwanted toolbars or extra unwanted downloads.

but you can't install uTorrent 3.2.2+ without installing Bunndle, and /NOCANDY isn't working on this particular PC.
Wrong. I have installed several versions of 3.2 and 3.3 on different computers and NONE of the machines I installed it on have any unwanted toolbars or extra unwanted downloads.

Right... except Opencandy and Bunndle aren't toolbars and don't announce to you that they're installed. In fact, Bunndle will download to your computer's AppData before you even accept the EULA. You might be fine with having it as long as you don't see it, but I don't like adware on my system.

Well, none of the machines I have installed uTorrent on has either of those so I would suggest you could be barking up the wrong tree.

You might be fine with having it as long as you don't see it, but I don't like adware on my system.

Don't assume things like, I don't have ANY of the usual background "auto starting" culprits for installing crapware on machines;

No Yahoo! messenger.

No MSN/Live messenger

No Skype

These start up when I want them to

No "useful" driver updating crap, no "Optimise your PC" rubbish and none of the myriad of other shiny junk that makes people think they 'need' them to improve their day.

You've used uTorrent for 7 years without reading the EULA? I'm sure uTorrent puts Opencandy in their EULA just to scare people like me, and that they don't actually use it.

I'm sure that this post about Bunndle:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=655638

and the changes that Bunndle makes to my registry are also just there to scare me off from upgrading. No way that uTorrent would use this adware if you say so, right?

Bunndle is a advert delivery system, if you disable the "offers" in the client you don't get any ads, therefore, where's the problem. Also do you stay in front of your computer watching the GUI during the day? If you do I would suggest that you have more things to be concerned about than the odd advert appearing.

Personally if I had the offers enabled they would only see light of day for about thirty minutes in every twenty four hours.

Developers of free software have the right to put ads in their software should they so wish and you have a choice of whether to use that software or not. If you don't like what that company does, DON'T USE THEIR PRODUCT!

Lol I like how you went from "You're crazy these things don't exist in uTorrent" to "If you don't like it then don't use it".
No, I said they don't exist or are inactive on any machines that I have installed uTorrent on.

No, you said that I was wrong in saying that uTorrent uses adware. Saying that your machines don't have any adware was just your evidence of why I was wrong.

For some reason I doubt that you were simply informing me about how clean your computers are without the goal of refuting my claim (that uTorrent can't be installed without Bunndle). The part where you say "Wrong" is a big clue.

Now does anyone know of any notable improvements in 3.2.2 with Windows 8?

Any notable improvements on the change from Windows XP to Windows 8?

How is this related to my question at all. Do you know what "Windows 8 Compatible" means in 3.2.2 when previous versions work in Windows 8?

Looking at the patch notes and general feedback on the internet, version 3.x.x isn't functionally superior to 2.2.1. Some even say that 3.x.x is inferior in terms of bugs and stability.

I'm here to get a different opinion (if it exists).

The internet is full of crap. Many people' incuding yourself, upgrade to Windows 8, iPhone 5 etc and don't stay with older products. Move forward.

Yes the internet is full of crap but it's also full of people giving legitimately good feedback. I upgraded to Windows 8 because, after you replace the Metro UI with a start menu, it's literally just a faster Windows 7 with different aesthetics (which I found by reading lots of forums, on the internet).

I haven't read in any forum of anyone claiming that uTorrent 3.x.x is a better torrent client than 2.2.1, and I'm not about to upgrade for the sake of having a higher version number.

So I'm asking if anyone is of the opinion that 3.x.x is a better torrent client than 2.2.1 (and if so, why), and if anyone knows what "Windows 8 Compatible" means in 3.2.2 when older versions are already compatible with W8.

Do you think that the BitTorrent people waste their time on products that function less than older products? If it wasn't understood until now, yes, 3.X.X function better than 2.2.1 in my opinion. Read the changelog and figure out for yourself.

No I think the BitTorrent people spend their time adding features that are unrelated to downloading torrents and adding ways to make more money (not that I have a problem with them making more money if it doesn't get in the way of the base functionality).

Why do you say that 3.x.x is a better torrent client than 2.2.1? I can't understand because you've only said that it's newer. I've read the patch notes and they're just filled with bug fixes for bugs that came after 2.2.1, UI changes, and useless features (anti-virus, streaming, converting, social etc...) that bloat the client. I can't figure out why 3.x.x has better torrenting functionality so I'm asking you.

1. If you think that the BitTorrent people waste their time adding features that are unrelated to downloading torrents and adding ways to make more money stay with version 2.2.1.

2. Why do I say that 3.x.x is a better torrent client than 2.2.1? Because I read the Changelog.

3. "I can't understand because you've only said that it's newer.". I never said that it's only newer. Read again what I wrote.

4. Since version 2.2.1 there where changes with the uTP, with working with hard disk and large files, with magnet links etc.

5. Again, if you think that people waste their time on fixing bugs stay with version 2.2.1.

3. "I can't understand because you've only said that it's newer.". I never said that it's only newer. Read again what I wrote.

You're right you also said "function better" and "read the changelog". :|

4. Since version 2.2.1 there where changes with the uTP, with working with hard disk and large files, with magnet links etc.

Finally some legitimate reasons...

Ok, so it's the semantics of the statement rather than the actuality of "No ads therefore no problem" that is your baulking point.

Though may I just say that in the three machines that I have here at this moment all with uTorrent installed there are NO registry entries for Opencandy OR Bunndle and for good measure uTorrent registry key entries are below.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-754251536-3754190370-1882303222-1000\Software\BitTorrent\uTorrent]

"Revision"=dword:0000716e

"OfferProvider"=""

"OfferName"=""

"OfferAccepted"=dword:00000000

"OfferViaCAU"=dword:00000000

The other machines are the same in keys and values.

Ok, so it's the semantics of the statement rather than the actuality of "No ads therefore no problem" that is your baulking point.

No it's the matter of uTorrent installing adware that scans your computer for information to show you specialized ads and offers (and this information is obviously sold to other ad agencies and whoever else wants to buy it). I don't know if hiding ads in uTorrent stops Bunndle / Opencandy from scanning your computer but I seriously doubt it.

Also I get the following registry values, and apparently so does this website:

http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md5=9da1db4d8f373629d045c7371d2ed8ae

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bunndle

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bunndle]

SystemGuid = "{A20B346D-720C-4AD9-8120-FBEEE97EE530}"

@crunchysalty,

Just currious, have you ever thought that it might not be uTorrent that is installing the adware? I have been using uTorrentfor at least 5 years now, upgraded to new versions, skipped others (just because I didn't see the relevance in the changes), and have NEVER had a uTorrent installer install anything like what you are saying. If you pay attention to what you are installing from a uTorrent installer and uncheck all the BS toolbars and such, you get nothing but uTorrent. And then to answer your other question, READ THE CHANGE LOG!

If the changes do not interest you, go ahead use the older unsupported software. Just don't come in here crying when something doesn't work right or you get hacked from some security issue that has already been fixed in newer versions.

Have a nice day.

Archived