I made a torrent, how do I get it out there to people?

LaxerFL

Recently there have been a few things I'd been looking for via Bit Torrent and wasn't having much luck. They were spread across several torrents with some missing parts, some redundant parts, and some parts were mislabeled/out of order/just plain wrong.

Once I completed what I was looking for and renamed/repaired/reordered it, I decided to make a new torrent so other people wouldn't have to go through what I did to get the completed, corrected torrent. I made a new .torrent file in Utorrent, uploaded it to a torrent site (not sure if it is cool to name sites on these forums or not) and am now seeding at my max upload speed.

The main problem is, I only have 10mb/s upstream (or 1.25MB/s). The torrent I'm trying to seed is over 25GB. Is there a way to make the torrent available to more people more quickly? I know if it is a popular torrent others will/should seed but I'm afraid if it takes ME too long to send it out to enough other people 100% so they can seed, the torrent will just die off.

Is there anything I should be doing to give the torrent the best chance to survive/thrive?

Thanks for any help,

Lax

PS: It is very early in the am for me and I admit I haven't looked over these forums and faqs yet so my questions may very well be answered already. I promise to do my own research but if anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be great too!

Happy Seeding/Leeching

Pay for a 'seedbox' or lease a VPS and build your own.

I had an idea that would be the route to go. I don't plan on doing this enough to justify the added cost but I am seriously considering moving up a tier in internet service to 20mb/s up... That should put me right around 2.5MB/s which isn't too shabby for my needs!

Thanks for the advice so quickly,

Lax

No matter what method you use, you've still got to get the data out initially. even with a seedbox, you've still got to upload to the seedbox, so the only difference is that you've delayed the start of the torrent until past the point where it'd be mostly done already.

I'd also LOVE your upload speed, I've been stick on 0.5Mbit for years.

as a general rule, 12kbyte/sec will transfer 1GB in 24 hours.

you're going 100x faster, so, your seeding shouldn't be an issue. 10Mbit is plenty fast enough. And remember, as soon as you start, the swarm will be the limitation on speed, not you.

Archived