Disable PEX banning

Mithanon

I am downloading from several torrents where there is only one good seed, and occasionally I see in the logs "Banning peer: too many pex messages. 5 since ___" banning the only seed giving me downloads. The seeds are also running uTorrent (the exact same version in fact) so there is no reason to be banning other uTorrent peers that are sending good data. I don't understand why this banning is necessary, and when I unban them manually they are not rebanned immediately so clearly the clients aren't misbehaving. How do I prevent uTorrent from banning peers for pex messages permanently?

Agreed. 90% of the torrents I connect to are unhealthy ones where the banning only causes more distress. From previous discussions, it is not going to be changed. I would love to see an advanced parameter to change the threshold for this behavior, though.

All that thread does is explain that the self-banning of your own IP or router address is not anything to worry about. OK, that is good to know. But the banning of other IP addresses due to an algorithm that examines a time period of too short an interval to take into account benign and intermittent network delays is not addressed. Keep the default for the average user of popular torrents to keep overhead down. I just want the option of more tolerance. This problem affects almost all the torrents I connect to so since I am constantly unbanning anyway why not just give me the option to not ban in the first place? Doesn't whether I ban or not only affect my system? I would rather have the overhead. Banning kills unhealthy struggling torrents.

Archived