File stays locked even though the torrent has been removed

joval

This issue started from a couple of releases ago, the current release as well as the previous one, all version 3.3 releases. When ever I download a torrent and have finished seeding, I want to remove the torrent from the GUI, but want to keep the data downloaded and back it up to another location. The problem is that the file remains "locked" and windows refuses to allow the move saying that uTorrent has a lock on the file. Copying the file is fine, but the whole idea is to release the space in order to free storage and allow other downloads. The only way to remove the lock is to close the program, and in some cases, when the process gets stuck, kill the process from the task manager. Also, I saw I am not the only one with the stuck process when trying to close the program.

Why does uTorrent keep the lock when the torrent changes status to finished. I have been using uTorrent for several years, and never came across this issue. Also, I am using Windows 7-64bit, if this makes any difference.

This never happened in the 3.2 version... I just did not keep a backup of this version so that I could restore the functionality or run tests...

For me, UT doesn't do this with torrent data, but the .torrent files. I choose to remove torrent and delete .torrent file, then I go to the folder where I have .torrents stored and the .torrent will still be there. Along with a dozen or so .torrent files form the past week. When I try to delete any of them it says they are in use by uTorrent.

This never happened with version 3.1.3.

Archived