Large number of connections

BrokenFish

For some reason utorrent is using a large number of connections even if all the torrents in the program is removed. (several houndred)

It doesnt seem to be much traffic in those connections, but I dont see a reason for them to be active when there arent any active torrent in the program.

Any ideas why they are there?

When the number excessive of connections (ports) are open, computer is unable to send info to the server provider, stopping internet transfer.

If upload data are not being transferred - even if download data are being transferred - the provider can't receive data from your computer and internet become slow or stuck!

Similar thing happens with cell phones. The tower has high power and its signal reaches the cell phone, however the cell phone has few power and its power cant reach the tower, when it is far from it.

As result, cell phone does not work.

To be accurate, excessive numbers of open ports can block the contact from your computer to the provider, stucking connection.

I have experienced this problem with eMule, but not with uTorrent.

For some reason utorrent is using a large number of connections even if all the torrents in the program is removed. (several houndred)

It doesnt seem to be much traffic in those connections, but I dont see a reason for them to be active when there arent any active torrent in the program.

Any ideas why they are there?

1. Set the logger to show you outgoing connections

2. Look at the torrent name it displays

3. If you see that they are older torrents, not in your main-view list - it means that your resume.dat file has some broken torrent records in it (maybe a bug? some other forced closing of uTorrent)

4. You can either re-add them and delete again, or

5. Use BEncode to edit the resume.dat (make a backup first) and delete all torrent names that you can see being logged.

Good luck!

Archived