µTorrent truncating file without warning when older torrent is loaded

michagogo

One of the files I seed is bootstrap.dat, the bitcoin blockchain in raw form to help get new bitcoin nodes up and running more quickly (since bittorrent is faster than the way the bitcoin client does it). A new version of the file was recently released, bringing the size up from ~4.5 to ~7.8 GB, and because it was append-only, it was able to count the already-downloaded data toward the new torrent. The trouble occurred when I wondered if I could seed the old torrent off the updated file. I loaded up the old torrent, and next thing I knew, bootstrap.dat had been truncated to ~4.5 GB and renamed to bootstrap.dat.!ut, it checked it, and then renamed back to bootstrap.dat. It seems to me that doing this like that with no warning is a bad thing, and µTorrent should either allow seeding off the larger file, or warn and ask the user whether they want to truncate.

(see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145386.0;all for more information about the file)

If you're pointing it at an existing file, it assumes that you know what will happen. Very few clients will actually have such a warning (if any).

Pointing it at an existing file? I just loaded the torrent. There wasn't any way I could have known.

Archived