Flags and seeders

cc_rider

I have been using utorrent for a few months as a second source next to using the newsgroups. Have noticed on some files that there are a huge number of seeds and a larger number of peers. It is my understanding that the seeders have 100% of the file, while peers have everything and anything but 100%. This is fine. However, In the Peers list, I notice that I can only connect to a very small percentage of seeders, in the case of one file, only 3 of 163. Of those 3 all of them have the 'd' flag. So what's the point? It becomes exceeding frustrating to see some seed out there who doesn't want to share? Further, I need to ask what does 'choked' mean? In the FAQ, it says 'interested and choked'... Who has control over this symptom? How does one alleviate this? Are they seeding too many files? Do they know how to set parameters in their clients?(rhetorical) How does selecting only a few files within the archive effect the download? Would it be faster to just download the entire file, even if it's 56 GB? Why can't I connect to more seeders? Inquiring minds want to know.. :)

Regards

This is fine. However, In the Peers list, I notice that I can only connect to a very small percentage of seeders

Where's the problem? If the ratio of seeds to peers is such that there's a MASSIVE number of peers compared to seeds, the swarm is behaving properly.

And besides, you get better speeds from peers anyway because of piece trade relationships.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived