Trouble with migrating downloaded files

xerces8

Hi!

I use uTorrent 3.3.1 build 30017 on Windows 8 Pro 64 bit.

Today I installed a new hard drive and wanted to move/migrate all my torrent files (the content, downloaded files, not the .torrent files) to the new drive.

I read the Migrating Your Files guide, specifically the last section "Moving files to another location after they have been loaded in µTorrent".

After selecting a destination directory, a dialog appears:

File move target D:\DL\the_file.rar already exists. Overwrite?

[Yes] [No] [Cancel]

(Cancel and No seem to do the same: nothing; Yes, updates the download location, without overwriting the file)

This is confusing, since uTorrent has nothing to overwrite (the file is no more present in the original location). One might also guess that this means re-download and overwrite.

In any case, overwriting is not what the user wants (and not what uTorrent actually does).

For the sake of clarity, can the text of this dialog be changed?

Or the dialog not being displayed at all?

Additionally: While trying to figure this out I noticed, that if one simply selects a new download location, uTorrent will move/copy the file by itself. So the guide can be rewritten in a simpler form, like this:

- Stop the torrent you wish to move in the torrent list in µTorrent.

- right click > Advanced > Set Download Location ...

- Browse to the location where you have moved the files.

- Start the torrent again.

Regards,

David

PS: Another possible bug: if the torrent is running and the user selects Advanced > Set Download Location ..., the file dialog appears and after selecting a destination folder, nothing happens, the old location stays in effect. I guess the menu should be disabled for running torrents.

nothing happens, the old location stays in effect. I guess the menu should be disabled for running torrents.
When relocating a running job, you should see the job status change to "Moving...", then depending on how long the relocation takes, it will change back to the previous status and the new location will appear on the Detailed Info -> General tab.
After selecting a destination directory, a dialog appears:

File move target D:\DL\the_file.rar already exists. Overwrite?

[Yes] [No] [Cancel]

Yep been mentioned before, "Overwrite" basically means "Use the same disc allocation space"? with an "after re-checking" being implied.

BitTorrent clients do not have a concept of 'files', just blocks of data that the underlying OS understands as 'files', so 'overwrite files' does not have the same meaning as it does in file managers.

Either, Both the operation is the same.

But a job that is not pre-allocated and is not fully complete will take significantly less time. Also jobs that are moving between diectories on the same drive will be almost instant.

AND given that you were/are moving the jobs to a new and presumably EMPTY drive, getting an overwrite alert dialogue would indicate that you did NOT select the new drive as the destination.

• 7 months later...

If you ignore this instruction:

Move the files to the location of your choice (for multiple files move the containing folder as a whole)

It works.

So, basically I copied a few hundred GB of files between hard drives for nothing.

Can we get those instructions updated? Fine if utorrent wants to move the files itself, just don't waste our time with bad instructions.

Archived