Problem with Avast

Zelda7

Hello!

Since yesterday Avast shows me a warning message each time I open uTorrent. It seems to have appeared after the VPS database of Avast was updated.

It says that a malicious URL has been blocked, and the related processus is said to be uTorrent...

I have tried to removed all the torrents I've downloaded recently, or to install the latest version of uTorrent, but the message keeps appearing several times when uTorrent is running.

Do you have an idea of what the problem can be? Thanks.

Ok thanks, I'm not exactly sure what you mean but I guess the problem is not so bad.

For the moment I will disable the pop-ups in Avast so I won't see the message anymore.

The safer way is to look at the trackers for your running jobs and remove any references to euphoria.sinkdns.org:6969 as a tracker.

Same problem here, though the URL is a bit different (... X.tbone.sinkdns.org ...) Is there a way to see all the trackers of all my torrents at once, or do I have to check them one by one?

Anyway I noticed that the (loooong) url features this string &uploaded=0&downloaded=0&left=0, so that may mean this torrent is something weird that's not listed

See screenshot http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4935/m8ol.jpg.

After a bit of DNS research it looks link sinkdns.org is being used as a wildcard DNS redirect for a malware infected machine.

The domain has been recently registered/transferred to a "Domains By Proxy" anonymous owner and is listed by many malware sites.

So if you have a decent firewall, just block the hostname for outgoing requests.

I did say a decent firewall!!

So, ... in that case use the Windows Hosts file to block it.

Open Notepad as Administrator

File -> Open C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (assuming that C:\Windows\ is your Windows installation)

Add a line of

127.0.0.1				euphoria.sinkdns.org

Then save the file

NB: The file has NO extension so do NOT allow notepad to add a .TXT extension.

I searched for all the .torrent files in my PC, opened them all with notepad, and then in one big text file, so I could look through their contents. Couldn't find anything about this "sinkdns".

Anyway maybe it's not that bad. I disabled popups on avast (they were coming every like 20") and everything works fine. Maybe.

Archived