Speed is usually good but sometimes crawls...

havok

I am on a fiber optic connection, so my speeds are usually great. For some reason though, at certain times they crawl. For instance, right now I am getting very slow download speeds, about 3 kb/s. I have a green botton showing and it appears as though I am connecting to about 1/5th of seeders and 1/4th of the other leechers, although it varies. Still, on some torrents utorrent shows I am connectable with a large number of seeders and peers yet I'm still getting crappy download speeds. Sometimes my download speeds suddenly shoot up and I get great speeds for about 30 seconds, then it goes crashing back down.

Basically, I'm wondering why I usually am getting good speeds, but then end up going through stretches with horrible speeds? What is going on?

PE is protocol encryption Thats what Ultima means

PEX is peer exchange

What is essential before reporting speed issues is that you use the values the Speed guide (CTRL+G) recommends for your Uploadspeed.

Testing then with high speed torrent peer at www.legaltorrents.com. If getting low speeds there while obeying the CTRL+G values is an indicator that the ISP is throtteling.

ran the speed test and got a result of 1324 / 1754. It also said since my upload speed is higher than my download speed, I might need to tweak (?) my configuration.

I'm wondering which connection type I should choose?

yes, I do have Protocol Encryption enabled. Should I also click on "allow incoming legacy connections". No, I didn't have DHT disabled. I have tried that now, but the download speeds are still slow.

I'm not sure what router I use. How can I check?

I turned off my ISPs firewall.

Er, I was sorta assuming you use a router. The equipment used to connect you to the internet... look at them and tell us their make and model, I guess.

As for turning off the firewall... what firewall are you using? Disabling won't work -- you'd have to uninstall to get rid of the firewall's influence.

I am in Japan and using an "NTT" fiber optic modem. The model number on the modem is DC11V.

The internet connection firewall is just the windows one I believe. I just unclicked it under my ISP's "preferences" tab.

Archived