Auto Labeling & Directory Mapping Fail

Yggdresil

Hi,

Starting with µTorrent 3.4, the auto-labeling system allowed for automatic directory mapping as well. However, there are a few bugs.

By order of importance (according to me) :

• Directory Mapping Deletion
    • It is positively impossible to remove a previously created mapping.
    • µTorrent does detect some changes have been made and lets you apply said changes, yet all the mapping rules remain.
  • Automatic Auto-Labeling
    • Having "Show options to change the name and location of the torrent data" unticked causes newly added torrents to bypass the auto-labeling rules. Isn't that the whole point of implementing auto-labeling? (Vote in the poll on how you think this should work)
    • It does however work fine if you leave that window and simply just click OK for every new torrent (how useful)...
  • Auto-Labeling HowTo
    • ​Finally, although using the directory mapping is rather straightforward, the auto-labeling system isn't. Which is why it'd be nice to know how we're supposed to create auto-labeling rules, if it's a simple "does given string match part of the title" or if we can use more powerful rules such as regular expressions?

A bit more information regarding this new functionality would be great.

System Information:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Edition

µTorrent 3.4.1 Beta (Build 30746) [32-Bit]

The rest shouldn't really matter but feel free to ask if you need anything.

I really love µTorrent and I was looking forward to auto-labeling but this is somewhat sad as, for now, moving completed downloads to a subfolder matching the label worked far better than this.

Cheers,

2nd this.

Format for auto-labeling "contents" is unknown - please provide examples or string format.

Changes in here are wonky at best. Some stick, after restart. Some goes away after restart. Some are applied after restart, even if removed.

Download paths for labels are simply not working - everything goes in root of the global default folder.

Windows 8.1 Pro

uTorrent 3.4.1_30746

• 3 weeks later...

3rd this.

i started using labels recently after discovering the awesome FileBot programm.

after creating a few label rules and mapping, i can't re-assign them once i wanted to change their directory, or delete a label mapping entirely.

so basically i'm stuck with whatever directories i initially created, and i now have downloads going to various places i do not wish.

Fourth this ;)

The mappings cannot be deleted, and persists even if the label itself is deleted.

Also.

I think appending the label at the end of common 'completed download' directory should be there as default, unless any other directory mapping is created.

• 2 weeks later...

I was happy with the old way of doing things. If I had a label 'episode', uTorrent would move the finished file(s) to my episode folder for further processing.

I suggest a tutorial be made for this new functionality as well as a patch update for this problem.

Also, I experience the same issue as above, with the label-mapping not being able to be removed.

Yeah, not being able to delete  is a must-fix... Regardless, you can always disable this feature with the checkbox on the top there...

I don't like the incomplete implementation. They should have added the ability to auto-change the destination folder inside the add-dialog also when you *manually* choose the label in that same dialog.

IMHO...

Any news on this? I'm gettings the beta updates, but still see no end to this issue. No matter what I set, the directory mappings simply don't work. I can't change the "pre-defined" categories, and I can't delete them (I REALLY don't want such "all-inclusive" categories in there). Everything just goes -> "Global Default". Aaannd, still no news on proper format/prefixes etc for the filtering.

Personally I've waited forever for such a feature - and was extremely glad to see it. But if it is /still/ not working - why not just take it out and re-enable the older "labling" system through the UI - and re-introduce it once it actually at least kind of works. For now I have to activate and administrate the "old" labeling system through the Web-API, and do symbolic directory links withing the "global default" location. This is not a viable workaround.

I still don't understand how you've gotten it to work. I mean, I'm "sort of" getting it to append label to matched criteria. While auto-labeling is nice and all, I'd believe one of the most essensial advantages of this would be to set a user-defined download location for torrents tagged with said label.

I've been trying pretty much all I could think of here, and restarted uTorrent between every settings change. It doesn't matter if the torrent matches the set criteria and the label gets applied automatically, or if I Iabel the torrent "manually". Doesn't matter if I add the torrent within the utorrent client or through the web-api. Every single one of these torrent. Doesn't matter if the "show options to change location etc" popup is enabled or not. still end up in "Global default" download location. I've tried with both local and network locations. Even without any "custom" labels, nothing ever ends up in the "predefined" locations for Video, Music and Documents either.

Yes, I did check the "Use label and directory rules" box.

The only way I can get anything to go anywhere else than "global default" is through activating the "Show option to change location..." popup when adding a torrent, and selecting a path there - or by changing location on per-file-basis in an already active torrent.

Running 3.4.1 Beta 30636, Win32.

I still don't understand how you've gotten it to work.

Sadly, it is of very limited functionality to me, plus has bugs, so only seldom being activated... But you can find a "guide" in by tips-guide @ my sig, item #U ...

Enjoy!

Ok thanks. I believe I've covered this route, but I'll give it another go using your instructions.

My main reason for this, is adding movies and other stuff "on the go" through the Web Remote API or Android Remote App (and not having to move these torrents to their appropriate NAS locations at a later time). These interfaces don't give you the option to touch dowload location, but you can append labels either manually in the web remote/app - or atomatically through the uTorrent client auto labeling system.

Are you saying, that unless the torrent is added directly through the client native UI, with the "Add..." pop-up dialog enabled - then "download location" does not work? If this is the case - the whole ordeal is totally useless. Even if you could somehow make it so that an "externally added" torrent would trigger the "Add..." pop-up dialog to come up in the actual uTorrent client UI - then nothing would progress and start DL until you can physically access the client and click "OK".

I must be missing something here. This makes no sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity, has anybody gotten the new system to move downloads to the appropriate directory after they finish? It's bad enough that the new system is so cumbersome to set up, but without the directory feature the entire label system is completely useless to me. Anything?

You mean moving with this label system? I think it was not meant for that. At least, yet... The idea here seems to be that you can put the downloads in the correct path to begin with. No need to move them...

Anyways, I think you can easily do the post-move with a simple batch file that you can activate ("run program" setting) after the download completes...

It seems set up to do that (why else would it allow me to associate a directory with each label?).

If you'll read my tip about that, maybe you'll know... And I'm sure people will help you with the batch file in the troubleshooting section...

Archived