Bandwidth limitting is not accurate

drakull

Firstly, excuse my bad english.

Second, I love uTorrent, tested almost all know bt clients and uTorrent beats them all easily.

But there's only one little problem I see in it. It does not have accurate bandiwidth limitting.

This problem is more visible when um limit the upload speed. In my case, i have ADSL 1024kbps up / 300kbps down... which gives me a real download rate of 110KB/s (880kbps) and 31KB/s (248kbps) and i limit the UP speed in 25KB/s, like i used to do on every single bt client i've tested... the problem is that with uT, even if it says it's uploading at 25KB/s, the real trafic is a bit higher, varying (and i mean REEEEALLY varying) between 22KB/s and 30KB/s every single second. This way it does limit my download speed, because of the left UP speed to send the ACK of the received packets is not sufficient so i have to raise the limit even more to left some UP BW.

The same happens with download speed... i tried to limit it to 50KB/s just for testing... and the real bandwidth was about 70KB/s. Even if i were seeding something (limited on 22KB/s when i'm DLing), it should not use 20KB/s of download speed to receive the ACK packets.

I use a program that analyzes bandwidth usage, it remains in the tray and shows graphically the UP and DOWN speeds and i've never observed this kind of behaviour with other clients... in fact, all other clients limits up and down speeds perfectly... UP speed was fixed in 25KB/s, almost never varying.

As u see... it's not a big problem, but i think also that is not hard to get it right. ;)

They dont simply act like they're making it right... they actually do it almost right. Im not talking about what the clients says, i'm talking about real network traffic. Lets be realists... u can grab every single trafic analyzer and u will see that all mainstream clients are actually more accurate than uT in limitting bandwidth. My last client (no need to say it's name here) was limitted on 22KB/s and it was using about 23KB/s STRAIGHT, constantly... thats accurate enough for me. While in uT I limit it in 22 KB/s and it actually consumes something between 20KB/s and 28KB/s... varying every second between this range... AVERAGING between 25KB/s.

It seems that u are taking this as an offence... that's not my intention at all. As i said before, i love uT, i just want you to solve the only glitch that bothers me. The fact is: it's may be impossible to accuratelly limit the bandwidth but the fact is that uT does it worser than the other clients.

How many ip connections are you running at once? Lots at once can result in EXTREMELY bursty behavior.

How high is your half-open connections set to in µTorrent? If it's higher than 8, it can at times cause bursty behavior if for some reason max connections haven't been reached. ...may be slightly worse if protocol encryption is enabled.

Is DHT activated? It uses bandwidth beyond the amount dedicated to uploads/downloads at a variable rate.

How many torrents are you running at once and how many upload slots are you allowing per torrent? If set too low or too high, you are GUARENTEED bursty behavior.

I'd have to agree - uTorrent does seem to jump around more. I've been told that accurately controlling DL is difficult - what are you going to do when a surge of them suddenly comes, just drop the ones over the limit? But surely the number of packets you are throwing out total should be controllable - that's completely your call.

Archived